What is recommended for removing decal glue?

I had a decal blow off of 2018 Caracal, what will remove the glue that remains?

I already have the new decal that Cat sent to replace it.

2. Member
    rubbing alcohol works real good, takes residue off without effecting the gel. A lot will tell you WD-40 as well. If you have a real stubborn spot you can use a little acetone.

3. Member
    I use goo-gone. It's citrus. Let it sit on the decal residue for 5 minutes. I then use my finger or finger nail to scrape it off. I suppose you can use a plastic edge, but I didn't want to scratch the gel coat. Then wash the area with soap and water and apply some wax/polish.
    Brad Krone

4. Member
    Bass cat recommends Acetone...Works great..
    I had issues with Decals on my 2010 Puma...Bass Cat said they went to a different vendor to eliminate issues but I think it was the way they were prepping the area..I ordered 2 new decals for each side and prepped the area with acetone to remove the decal and clean it..Let it dry then went over it again with alcohol and put on the new decal..It has been good for 8 years now....
    I laid out the location with a non permanent sharpie..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Actually the factory’s suggestion is enamel reducer. Then remove the residue with alcohol. Acetone doesn’t cut the glues well. Goo Gone does, though no better than a paint thinner.

Some staff tends to suggest acetone in house because we don’t stock thinners. They just use what’s handy.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Actually the factory’s suggestion is enamel reducer. Then remove the residue with alcohol. Acetone doesn’t cut the glues well. Goo Gone does, though no better than a paint thinner.

Some staff tends to suggest acetone in house because we don’t stock thinners. They just use what’s handy.
    I remembered the Acetone part and then cleaning it with Alcohol but my memory isnt what it used to be..lol..I probably talked to someone in service...They hooked me up with 2 new decals and everything has been good since..I think part of it was the cold spring water temps...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

7. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I've used kerosene for all sorts of glue residues. In fact, I just removed a gasket seal from my compartment openings that were on there for 3 years. Peeled off the decaying rubber gasket and the remaining rubber was attached by the 3M tape so I just gently saturated it with kero and left it overnite. Scraped it off with a cheap plastic scraper from Lowes. cleaned off the kero with a soapy towel then used cleaner wax on the surface. good as new. done it many times and it never affected the gel. Actually removed carpet glue off my old boat that I was recarpeting by gently rubbing the glue off but not scrubbing hard.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Member
    Acetone is a great option BUT BE VERY CAREFUL around rubber, plastic, carpet and upholstery. If you get it on those parts of the boat it will permanently discolor it. As well, rubber gloves are highly recommended if you use it very often. Hope this helps.

9. Member
    I changed all the decals on a 2004 Sabre that I used to own and used WD-40 with very good results. Cheap and easy to find........if it does not work to your expectations then it is always handy around the house. That and duct tape......lol
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

WD-40

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>