HPDI starting issue

I have a 2008 250 HPDI with 195 hrs. We went to the lake today and had no issues most of the day. We pulled up to a spot and fished a little. When we got ready to go, the engine would not start. It has been flawless since I bought it a little over a year ago. It would turn over, but not start. Had fuel, oil, all fuses good, etc. Called my buddy to come tow me to the ramp. While we were on the phone, he told me to tilt the engine all the way up, let it sit a minute, then tilt it down and try to crank it. I did that and it fired right up. I went back to the ramp area and spent another couple hours fishing near by. We started, idled, and ran with no further issues. Any idea what it could have been?

2. Member
    I have the same engine and just turned 200 hrs. I haven't ever heard of that but will keep it in mind if I ever have an issue.

3. Member
    I'd be looking at the wiring in the rigging tube between the motor and boat. Since tilting it up and back down seemed to have fixed it, you may have a short somewhere.

4. Banned
    Sounds more like "vapor lock", how hot was the day?
    Next time it does it check the primer bulb hardness, if soft prime.

5. Member
    Thanks for the ideas. It was only in the low 80s. Primer bulb was hard.

6. Member
    One other thing that was odd that morning is that it was difficult to put the engine in gear when we first launched. It's like the cables needed greasing. After the initial startup, they were fine.

7. Member
    I have a 2010 Yamaha 200 HPDI that has failed to start twice. I found out on some occasions, if the exhaust ports are completely submerged in the water, it will not start. Just trim the motor until the exhaust ports are above the water level and it always starts. It is some type of vapor lock. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmybauer@att.net View Post
    I have a 2010 Yamaha 200 HPDI that has failed to start twice. I found out on some occasions, if the exhaust ports are completely submerged in the water, it will not start. Just trim the motor until the exhaust ports are above the water level and it always starts. It is some type of vapor lock. I hope this helps.
    Yep. I have a 2009 HPDI Series 2 200HP and if the motor is left down while fishing, I have to bump the hotfoot when I start the engine up. Some sort of bad design with the exhaust ports being submerged and back pressure.

Might want to check your low pressure lift pumps! I have close to 500 hrs on my 2008 series 2. Never a starting issue with the motor trimmed down.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

10. Member
    Thanks guys. I had checked the low pressure pumps a couple months ago, and replaced one of them. I'll go back and check or just replace the other. We have been diligent the last couple of trips in trimming the engine up while fishing and we have not had any more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Might want to check your low pressure lift pumps! I have close to 500 hrs on my 2008 series 2. Never a starting issue with the motor trimmed down.
    I actually did replace both low pressure fuel pumps a year ago and it didn't help my issue. The OP should check his though to make sure they aren't leaking.