Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Most Abrasion Resistant (non-braided) Line

I'm sure this has been hashed over time and time again, but I'm interested to hear some thoughts given new products available on the market and from folks who've not weighed in on it in the past. This is precipitated by my reflecting back on some killer breakoffs I had this past season that would have made a big difference for me. Besides, I'm tired of spending money on expensive leader line that ends up disappointing. Hopefully I can leverage the experience of others and get something that will maybe turn those heartbreaks into triumphs next season.*

What do you think is the most abrasion resistant line available? I'm talking about - diameter for diameter - the baddest stuff out there. Ignore manageability (it's gonna be hard and kinky and temperamental and it's gonna have memory if it's tough), ignore lb test ratings if you can (again, trying to compare apples to apples with lines of the same diameter), and let's stick with mono, copoly, and fluoro. We've already beaten braid to death anyhow.

Also try to list off the stuff you've tried so that we can get a frame of reference since I doubt anyone has tried them all.

I know that fluoro is supposed to be the bee's knees in these situations, but the most abrasion resistant I've tried is not fluoro. For me, the most abrasion resistant is P-Line CXX. If I were starting next season right now, that's what would be getting the call in my close quarters heavy duty applications. Maxima Ultragreen is probably second.

A probably not all inclusive list of those I've tried includes: Berkley Trilene XT and XL, Berkley Big Game, Berkley Vanish (mainline and leader), Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon (mainline and leader), Seaguar Red Label, Seaguar Blue Label (mainline and leader), Seaguar Invisx, Seaguar Abrasx, Seaguar STS, Sunline Sniper, Sunline Leader Material, P-Line Fluoroclear, P-Line original, P-Line Shinsei leader, P-Line CX, P-Line CXX, Stren Original, Stren Fluorocast, Silver Thread, Vicious Fluorocarbon, Bass Pro Excel (pretty sure it's Trilene XT), Cabelas No-Vis (pretty sure it's Seaguar Blue Label), Maxima Ultragreen, Sufix Invisaline leader

Typing that out makes me realize how much money I've wasted on fishing line.

I've never used Tatsu though I'm guessing its manageability means it's not necessarily *the best* in abrasion resisistance. Toray SuperHard is one I've heard is excellent that I have yet to try. Sunline Shooter is one more that is supposed to be awesome in that regard that I've never been willing to pay for.

*In full disclosure, the breakoffs are just about all if not all my fault. Most all of them occurred when I was either in a funk and not keeping an eye on a knot, or in a hurry and skipped retying after catching a pike. I'd love to think I'll do better moving forward and I certainly plan to, but a little "stupid" buffer is what I'm after here.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

2. Member
    I have found Berkley Big Game to be very good at abrasion resistance.

Living near tidal waters with barnacles will test the abrasion resistance of any line and BG does a good job for me.

3. Member
    I finally bit the bullet on Sunline Shooter (used for couple of months now) and it is impressive. Noticed a big jump in abrasion resistance compared to the Sunline Sniper FC. Let me be clear I love the Sunline Sniper FC for any and all things that don't drag bottom. Sniper FC cost me couple of key fish on my Carolina Rig this past season that I'm confident Shooter will solve. I would at least give shooter a try .... glad I did.

I've tried most of the lines that Drew listed before finding Izorline. The Izorline Platinum is the most abrasion resistant that I have found. I also use their fluoro leader material on a Carolina Rig and on those rare occasions that I use a leader on braid on my spinning rod. Drew: Try some Izorline Platinum (I prefer the green) and see if it meets your needs and fits your style of fishing. You can buy it at Tackle Warehouse. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Izor...cpage-ILP.html
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 10-29-2018 at 09:17 AM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I am glad to read that I am not the only one to have wasted a lot of money on line. I took the advice of Jeff Hahn and tried Izorline. Great line! Just give it a shot.

6. Member
    An actual flouro leader would be best for abrasion.

Im back to using Co-Polymer and braid I’m done with straight flouro to much of a headache.
    Nitro z21

7. Member

8. Member
    I have tried the 3 fluorocarbon lines (Tatsu, Shooter,Toray Super Hard) that you mentioned you haven't. I can't really comment on Toray Super Hard's abrasion resistance because I didn't use it long enough (1 day actually) to make a judgement. I found it to be extremely temperamental when tying knots. Also, I was using it as a main line and it was by far the stiffest line I have ever used. I know you said you didn't care about stiffness .... I only mention it as explanation why I only used it 1 day. It was definitely a waste of money.

Tatsu is my line of choice, and has what I consider very good abrasion resistance, about what Sniper has, but neither are as abrasion resistant as Shooter.

9. Member
    PLine CXX of the stuff I have tried.

10. Member
    You would be hard pressed to find something more abrasion resistant than Pline CXX. Managability is pretty bad but its tough as nails. Shooter is awesome too.

11. Joe4d
    guess I never put abrasion resistance high on my list.
    Strength to diameter, stretch , memory and stiffness or lack thereof.
    A bit of spit on the knot while tying and I retie if line looks damaged.

Awesome advice so far.

The main reason I really couldn't give a rip about manageability is because I primarily run braid with a leader on these setups, the exception being a football jig where I'll run like 40 yards of whatever line I'm using over braid. When you only use 40 yards, a spool of whatever you buy goes a lot further and you can afford to change it out a lot more often.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    Best i've found is CXX as well. I would like to try out izorline xxx as i've heard good things about it as well. From what your describing though with a 40yd leader, i'd go CXX

14. Member
    Sunline structure. I have flipped and drug a t-rig over shell beds all day long many days and only have to retie a couple times throughout the day

Izorline Platinum has been my go-to line for years. But sometime in the last couple years they switched production from Korea to China.
    Has anyone noticed a falloff in quality?
    It also seems to me that green is stronger than clear; anyone else see that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lund1625 View Post
    Izorline Platinum has been my go-to line for years. But sometime in the last couple years they switched production from Korea to China.
    Has anyone noticed a falloff in quality?
    It also seems to me that green is stronger than clear; anyone else see that?

I remember when that switch took place. I have not found one iota of difference in the quality of the Izorline made in Korea or China. I prefer the green now, but used the clear for many years. I can’t tell any difference in the strength, abrasion resistance, or stretch between the green vs clear.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Member
    I like Gamma...little pricey great line

18. Member
    From my research a few years ago, I would say 2 that have already been mentioned several times........CXX and Platinum. Put some 12# Platinum on my daughter's reel, but it had too much memory for her. It was, and is, her only baitcast reel. She loves the Siege I respooled with. I don't really need that kind of abrasion resistance so 12# AN40 suits me just fine. I will be going to Platinum if I ever do need maximum abrasion resistance.

19. Member
    Probably not what you are looking for, the the stainless steel fishing wire, typically used for trolling, is far more abrasion resistant than anything mentioned so far.

20. Member
    Trilene XT and Maxima Chameleon,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast