Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I fish a shallow rocky river and abrasion resistance is my #1 need in fishing line. I've tried many of the same lines on the OP's list. The best abrasion resistant line I've found is Gamma Edge fluorocarbon.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmegabass View Post
    I like Gamma...little pricey great line
    +1 good stuff. Extremely tough

Lots of good info. Thank you gents!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    I have used P-line CXX, Izorline, McCoys mean green, my overall favorite for abrasion resistance and overall tough line is

Mason T-line

http://www.masontackle.com/index.php...ct_detail&p=22

Had a co-worker who guided for salmon on weekends and had a "pro-staff deal" for Gamma. He said it wasn't tough enough and he actually used Maxima. I've never used either Gamma or Maxima.

I have used a lot of Pradco line, some on a C'rig with Berkley line of the same test for the leader, and almost always broke the leader and rarely the mainline. Tried Izorline platinum on a spinning reel once, and stripped it off within the first hour. I've been using some FC on a baitcaster over the last 3-4 years, but changing back to copolymer lately. McCoy's is good stuff, IMO.

6. Member
    For the money you can't beat Berkley Big Game.

Berkley Big Game has always done me well

Personal preferences in fluorocarbon is Sunline Shooter for Flipping or Pitching around wood and othe hard cover.
    Sunline Sniper FC for all other fluorocarbon applications.
    Trilene XL or XT used to be my go-to mono lines. Switched over to Sunline Super Natural last year and won’t go back. Better abrasion resistance and more overall manageability. And the small diameter allows you to move up 2 sizes compared to XL.
    Here’s how Tackle Tour rated FC lines. Toray was rated tops for abrasion. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluo...ontestpg4.html
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

It's interesting how Berkley Trilene is in diameter compared to others. I've told this story on here more than once I'm sure, but I used to really like their 100% fluorocarbon a lot. Seemed like it was much stronger than others. I also used to really struggle with getting bites on a drop shot.

Then I figured out that the reason for both of those seemingly unrelated observations was one in the same: Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon 8 lb is roughly the same diameter as everyone else's 12 lb! No wonder it seems so strong, and no wonder I couldn't get bites on a drop shot! Their XT and XL are similar in that they're larger in diameter for a given lb test...that really taught me to pay attention to diameters much more than lb test ratings. It's usually not as big of a deal for mono, fluoro, or copoly (though it obviously is in some cases, especially in larger lb tests), but it's especially true for braid!

The Tackle Tour tests always seemed really well done to me. It's a shame they haven't been repeated in what amounts to ages now (almost 12 years!) with the way new lines come to market.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    It's interesting how Berkley Trilene is in diameter compared to others. I've told this story on here more than once I'm sure, but I used to really like their 100% fluorocarbon a lot. Seemed like it was much stronger than others. I also used to really struggle with getting bites on a drop shot.

Then I figured out that the reason for both of those seemingly unrelated observations was one in the same: Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon 8 lb is roughly the same diameter as everyone else's 12 lb! No wonder it seems so strong, and no wonder I couldn't get bites on a drop shot! Their XT and XL are similar in that they're larger in diameter for a given lb test...that really taught me to pay attention to diameters much more than lb test ratings. It's usually not as big of a deal for mono, fluoro, or copoly (though it obviously is in some cases, especially in larger lb tests), but it's especially true for braid!

The Tackle Tour tests always seemed really well done to me. It's a shame they haven't been repeated in what amounts to ages now (almost 12 years!) with the way new lines come to market.

You are correct. Berkley always marketed their lines by labeling the spools with a lower pound test rating than their diameter would justify. I suspect it was so that fishermen who didn’t pay attention to such things would believe that Berkley line was so much stronger than its competitor’s lines of the same pound test.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Ok usual disclaimer; Drew I agree with you again. This OLD spool of Trilene Maxx, 12lb, .014. Trilene XT 10lb, .014, Trilene Big Game 12lb, .014..

And I always used XT because it felt stronger to me. I fished saltwater for a good while and still do and the older guys that don’t “tinker” like I do simply walk to the Big Game and get 600 yards for the same amount I pay for 330 yards

Maybe theyre onto something?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Don't know if it's still that way, but pline 17 lb, that my buddy use to brag about was the same diameter as mosts 20lb. line. I even use pline cxx extra strong 20 lb & dn't even look at it nowadays since they quit making the photochromic big game.

13. Member
    The comments about Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon hold some weight, but are not entirely accurate when comparing to other lines. It is on the thick side of line diameter, their 8lb line is the diameter of Sunline's 12lb Shooter. However, Sunline is typically thinner than most other lines as well. When you break it down in comparison to other common manufacturers, it's not quite the cable some are making it out to be.

For comparison -
    8 LB. Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon is .011 inches, the 100% Trilene XL Fluorocarbon is .010 inches
    Gamma EDGE .011 inches
    Hi-Seas 100% Fluoro .010 inches
    Maxima Fluorocarbon .010 inches
    P-Line Ultimate Fluorocarbon .010 inches
    Seaguar AbrazX - .010 inches
    Seaguar InvizX - .010 inches
    Suffix Invisiline Castable Fluorocarbon .009 inches
    Sunline Shooter Finesse Special - .0092 inches
    Sunline Sniper - .0093 inches

In reality, Trilene isn't as thick as everyone elses 12lb Fluoro. Is it as thick or close to Sunline, yes, but it is competitive in diameter when compared to the majority of other lines. In my experience I've had excellent luck with Seaguar and Trilene. I've had poor experience with Sunline (under 10lb advertised strength) and Suffix. With that being said, I rarely use Fluoro as a mainline on spinning tackle anymore. I've found better knot strength when tying leader lines with Trilene and I like the green tint color option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12