Thread: 250 on Ranger?

250 on Ranger?

Suzuki 250 on 520C or 521C?
    2014520C. Not bashing but have a lemon Merc 250XS. 3 heads and 2 LUs. 3 of 5 out of warranty. Looking to repower. Little cautious of Merc 4 stroke. I know of one blown.

Had a Suzuki 175 on a 482V and loved it. Looking at DF250TLSS. Anyone running one?

2. Member
    There a few of us who are running the Suzuki 250SS and I believe Jake520 is running one on a Ranger. The biggest change from going to a Mercury to Suzuki is that you will lose top end speed. From chatting with Elite pros who have Suzuki's on Bass Cats, they are lucky to 73 to 74 mph out of them while others who run Mercury/Yamaha or pushing close to 80.

I was in a similar boat like you were last year and decided to make the switch as well. I got tired of always having to clean the compressor strainer, alternator issues, and probably needed to have my injectors cleaned, but didn't want to deal with it. Therefore, I made the switch to Suzuki and been happy ever since. I'm not a big speed guy and rather have a dependable boat that will get me back and not break the bank whenever I take it in for maintenance.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    Did you lose 6-8 mph when you switched?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Did you lose 6-8 mph when you switched?
    On my '06 Bass Cat Puma, my top end was around 70 with a Mercury 225 Pro XS and the original hull. Then I put on a Gorilla Hull, and now my top speed is 68 mph with the Suzuki and I never did a max speed run with the Gorilla Hull and Mercury. However, I can probably still push 70 with the Suzuki & Gorilla Hull, but my boats starts to chine walk earlier @68 mph vice 70 mph and I'm not comfortable driving it that way yet, therefore, I just don't push it.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

5. Member
    Thanks guys

6. Member
    I would say I lost 5 mph when I switched to the 250SS. I’m hoping to make up the loss in longevity of the motor. I put a lot of hard hours on the big SS running the Mississippi River.