Thread: 300r ?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    I would love to see a 300xs with 1.75 gears. I have run xb21 with and without dbr ecu on a 300xs with 1.62 gears and the difference is very noticeable enough I got a
    Flash for my 250... 250 flash a lot
    Less noticeable
    I remember Tim Powell's old boat running before and after the DBR upgrade. There may have been some mid-range improvements but his holeshot and top end were no better from what I saw, and from what his GPS recorded. That was a disappointment to him and me. He was at 98.8 a couple of trips before he had the DBR upgrade but never got back to that speed again. Close, but not what one would expect. But, it (his numbers) saved me from going DBR. But your's did great. Just goes to show there is no absolutes in all this craziness called fast boating.

2. Banned
    Been reading this thread and enjoying listening to fast guys experiences, I asked this question on scream and fly though want to pose it here. Let's say the same outboard has an option for 1.62 or 1.75 gears and does 90mph, is the a 29" on the 1.62 going to accelerate the same as a 31" on the 1.75?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    Comparing a 250r or 300 r to a 250 xs 1.75 gears is the real Litmus rest in my opinion
    I got to run my 300R today for a little bit of break in and , with just 1.7 hours on it I can tell you that it would destroy my 250XS/1.75 0-85!! And I had a stout 250 with the DBR. I ran with a 32 ProMax with no vent holes and it ripped right out of the hole. Going to run it again Sunday and hope to get enough time on it to turn it up some. I did see 98.3mph at a little over 6200RPM's at todays end today and , it came effortlessly.

Sounds awesome! I'm waiting on a 250R , but from the sounds of what your saying, if a 300r can be had sooner I may have to pony up on that. My boat is almost done but motor is way behind.

5. Member
    I can't comment on the 250R but , I'm thrilled with this 300R and it's not broke in and making full power yet.

Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    Sounds awesome! I'm waiting on a 250R , but from the sounds of what your saying, if a 300r can be had sooner I may have to pony up on that. My boat is almost done but motor is way behind.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    I got to run my 300R today for a little bit of break in and , with just 1.7 hours on it I can tell you that it would destroy my 250XS/1.75 0-85!! And I had a stout 250 with the DBR. I ran with a 32 ProMax with no vent holes and it ripped right out of the hole. Going to run it again Sunday and hope to get enough time on it to turn it up some. I did see 98.3mph at a little over 6200RPM's at todays end today and , it came effortlessly.
    That’s awesome!

7. Member
    Has anyone compared the fuel consumption between the optimax and the V8?

Xb2003 - 300xs
    100+ mph club

Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    Great running!! Looking forward to hearing how Sunday goes
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

9. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Oh my goodness!!! 98+ MPH and only a little over an hour and a half break in time!!!??? Guess the break in on a 4 stroke isn't the same as a 2 stroke
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. Member
    Fuel economy on the R 250 was great when we tested. We ran Woody’s like we stole it for 3 days off and on and it took 13 gallons to fill it up. Any of my 250XS’s and it would have taken at least twice that much fuel.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    I remember Tim Powell's old boat running before and after the DBR upgrade. There may have been some mid-range improvements but his holeshot and top end were no better from what I saw, and from what his GPS recorded. That was a disappointment to him and me. He was at 98.8 a couple of trips before he had the DBR upgrade but never got back to that speed again. Close, but not what one would expect. But, it (his numbers) saved me from going DBR. But your's did great. Just goes to show there is no absolutes in all this craziness called fast boating.
    My boat picked up 4-5 mph when loaded with 2, full fuel, and full livewell with DBR kit. I went from running 91-92 with that load to running 95-96.

I never ran it for a big number afterwards, the times I attempted to run for a big number the boat wouldnt settle in on the big end so i ended up backing out. Every prop I own would run 99.xx when solo below neutral trim.

But I did also run 99.8 on stock engine BUT in fairness I did not get a chance to run that exact same prop again after mods.

IMO DBR does show gains on the 300xs and Geoff has experienced them on the data logger as well.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

12. BBC SPONSOR
    As for the R engines.....i got 2 on order
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    IMO DBR does show gains on the 300xs and Geoff has experienced them on the data logger as well.
    DBR makes a difference if you are propped to take advantage of it. It made a difference that was very clear on the data logger. I will post some graphs and start a different thread at some point.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

14. Member
    I have a few questions for the ones that have gone from the 2 stroke to v8 four stroke.
    1. Has anyone installed the off shore version of the 300r and will the off shore pump for a 300xs work?
    2. Will the hydraulic steering for the 300xs work on the 300r?
    3. Will the 300xs wiring harness's work on the 300r?
    4. With the off shore trim pump being in the boat it looks like the weight difference should be around 20 lbs, is this correct?
    I'm not planning on making a change soon but who knows what the future will bring. Very happy with my currnet set up but who knows.
    Thank's

15. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    I have a few questions for the ones that have gone from the 2 stroke to v8 four stroke.
    1. Has anyone installed the off shore version of the 300r and will the off shore pump for a 300xs work?
    2. Will the hydraulic steering for the 300xs work on the 300r?
    3. Will the 300xs wiring harness's work on the 300r?
    4. With the off shore trim pump being in the boat it looks like the weight difference should be around 20 lbs, is this correct?
    I'm not planning on making a change soon but who knows what the future will bring. Very happy with my currnet set up but who knows.
    Thank's
    I can answer some of your question. I have not installed an offshore but I'm sure the pump will be the same.

The same Hydraulic steering will work, and the wiring harness is the same.

16. Member
    Lee, thanks.

17. Moderator

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234