Thread: 300r ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I would love to see night and day. Don't take that statement in a mean way. I really would like to see how they perform.

How about we make this interesting. I will send my data logger to anyone with an Ally XB21 and 250R (or 300R if one exists). They shouldn't have any issue beating a 17-second 5-85 time with a moderately loaded XB21 bass boat.

We are in the cold season, so now is the time to see what this motor can do. The boat doesn't have to have a full tank of gas. Run it light on gas, but all batteries should be in the boat, trolling motor on, and some fishing gear in the boat.

The data logger is super easy to run. It just needs to be turned on. When done, pull the memory card and email me the files.

Any takers?
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Giddyup.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Dan be honest, it don't take much to confuse a yankee. LOL
    :X
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

4. Moderator
    Dan be honest, it don't take much to confuse a yankee. LOL

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    I would love to see night and day. Don't take that statement in a mean way. I really would like to see how they perform.

How about we make this interesting. I will send my data logger to anyone with an Ally XB21 and 250R (or 300R if one exists). They shouldn't have any issue beating a 17-second 5-85 time with a moderately loaded XB21 bass boat.

We are in the cold season, so now is the time to see what this motor can do. The boat doesn't have to have a full tank of gas. Run it light on gas, but all batteries should be in the boat, trolling motor on, and some fishing gear in the boat.

The data logger is super easy to run. It just needs to be turned on. When done, pull the memory card and email me the files.

Any takers?
    What size prop were you running? I timed mine the other day with a stop watch and my passenger recording. We went 4-97.6mph in 20 seconds with a 30p and 1.62 gears. Keep in mind Im running a 20’ not a 21’ boat. Where did you buy your data logger?

Xb2003 - 300xs
    100+ mph club

6. Member
    I said the 250V8 and the 250XS Optimax were about the same as far as top end goes, the hole shot and midrange of the V8 will destroy the Optimax. The 300R is about like a 300X on top end but the mid range and hole shot is better than the 300X.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    I said the 250V8 and the 250XS Optimax were about the same as far as top end goes, the hole shot and midrange of the V8 will destroy the Optimax. The 300R is about like a 300X on top end but the mid range and hole shot is better than the 300X.
    You typing this from a tree stand? LOL. I do my best thinking sometimes atop a tree. When I read your comments that's what I thought of. LOL. One thing I have taken away from the V8's is I don't see anything beating them on holeshot and with the limiter's set where they are they should fine on top end as well. The mid-range acceleration has been very good and I think that all the way around they are here to stay and will replace all 2-strokes soon. I'm sure there will be some downsides to them such as propping them out right and setting them up, but they have not left me wondering if they are worth the money when a new motor comes up. Good luck this season too Paul. Don't do as I do and shoot "AT" big bucks. Shoot them. I hit a limb and missed my giant this year already.

8. Member
    Lolol yes I was sitting in a tree when I made the post...lol.

9. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    That sounds more like it.

Thanks for clearing that up, now get back to hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    That sounds more like it.

Thanks for clearing that up, now get back to hunting.
    Not trying to call anyone out, but I think we all want to see it. This is about the motor not people. If I got a realistic ship date I believed this summer I would own one. So I’m in the R camp.

It’s a simple test. 85 is a safe speed. A 250R should be able to hit 17 seconds. If it’s that much better it should be well under that. Should do it with a stock 30p as well.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

11. Member
    Have a great Thanksgiving.
    Last edited by catfish123; 11-22-2018 at 08:51 PM.

I thought I was clear. Not trying to turn this into a race or a credibility thing. Both guys you mention have way longer histories in this arena than me. As I said it’s not about the people. I’m legitimately interested in the performance and Based on the PM’s and texts I have received others are as well. This is a learning forum. We have statistics for cars for that reason (0-60,1/4 mile, etc).

I test props all the time. Some I think are awesome until I get home and look at the data. I tested a 32 Bravo the other day I thought gave the Promax a run for its money in the 5-85 and it ended up be way off. The midrange couldn’t keep up.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

13. Member
    Geoff’s absolutely correct on data logging. I was seemingly surprised while prop testing with a logger as opposed to my feels like. I’m curious to know also and I own a 250R. It’s much faster from idle to 85 than my 300/1.62. I’m not sure If’n its faster from 0/85 than a 250xs/1.75. We will find out. May have wait till I get Geoff’s logger. I may can get some data from Racelogger app. I’m pretty sure the 17 second come from Matt’s boat which is extremely fast and strong 250xs with 1.75’s. We will eventually all get together and test. Not guess.

14. Member
    If I were going to be dropping the bucks (and I am planning on it) for a new motor, I'd want to know that I exhausted all the resources available to determine if I were purchasing the motor that would give me the performance I want. Some want top end, some want hole shot, some want top end with a full load etc. I don't think Lee or Paul are wrong on an assumptions I have read (when I read them right! LOL) but I also know Geoff Erickson pretty darn well and I know few people in the country have the dedication to plugging as much time in with various props and setups as he does while connected to multiple data logging devices. Me for one, has been not only driving and being around several 250R motors so far, I have also been carefully listening to the performance reports from those driving them. So far, I have heard some reports that indicated that the setup on some boats were horribly bad. Not just on Allison but other brands as well. I have also heard reports of how great they performed during testing. I personally ran Woody's boat with the new R on the back to right at 90 with a 29" prop and was solid on the limiter. It had much more in it if I had the right prop on it. I guess I am saying that nobody owns exclusive "all knowing data" and the more we share information about these new motors and setups the better we will all be. For me, I don't need to see anymore data to know I'll end up with an R motor probably this coming year. My 2018 300 Racing Merc is a great motor and has all of 34 hours on it, but I know I want the total performance of the R. I can't see Geoff being the kind of man to ever stir the pot (can't say that about myself even! LOL) by calling anybody out. He's a humble man seeking knowledge and willing to share it with all.

15. Member
    Geoff is a class act, he has put tons of time data logging and testing. I don't do the logging, I just test like most others and run by the seat of my pants and what ever my graph and smartcraft tells me. I would love to have one of the 300r motors but it probably isn't in the cards being on a fixed income but I will be watching very close to the ones that can. Trust Geoff, he is a great guy that has offered a ton of info to this croud. I've said this before, I wish he was in a Stroker so I may be able to learn more.

16. Member
    300xs with 1.62gears is super disappointing compared to a 250 xs everywhere except topend. With a dbr kit the 300 becomes a bit more respectable but it hard pressed to beat a 250 to 90 let alone 85. 1.62s just kill responsiveness.

Comparing a 250r or 300 r to a 250 xs 1.75 gears is the real Litmus rest in my opinion
    Last edited by xb03fs; 11-23-2018 at 06:44 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    300xs with 1.62gears is super disappointing compared to a 250 xs everywhere except topend. With a dbr kit the 300 becomes a bit more respectable but it hard pressed to beat a 250 to 90 let alone 85. 1.62s just kill responsiveness.

Comparing a 250r or 300 r to a 250 xs 1.75 gears is the real
    Litmus rest in my opinion
    There is a lot of difference in the 250XS compared to the 300XS. If the 300 XS had the holeshot of the 250XS I personally would be totally happy.

18. Member
    There is a lot of difference in the 250XS compared to the 300XS. If the 300 XS had the holeshot of the 250XS I personally would be totally happy.
    Exactly the point. Comparing holeshot/acceleration to a 300 xseigh 1.62 is pointless

That's why I made the comment about comparing apples to apples.. a little unfair to compare holeshot and acceleration when not equipped with the same gears. The difference in my 300XS with 1.62 verses 1.75 is very different.

20. Member
    I would love to see a 300xs with 1.75 gears. I have run xb21 with and without dbr ecu on a 300xs with 1.62 gears and the difference is very noticeable enough I got a
    Flash for my 250... 250 flash a lot
    Less noticeable

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast