Thread: 300r ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    There’s a shocker!!!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

2. Member
    So, how does it compare to the 300xs?

Xb2003 - 300xs
    100+ mph club

3. BBC SPONSOR
    I havent got my hands on a 300R...YET. But everything I see from hands on with the 250R is dang impressive.

The 300 is going to be a beast!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

4. Member
    Paul Nichols said 250R and 250 opti were about the same but the 300R was stronger than the 300 opti.

Wonder how long before Paul puts some taller gears in one ??

Quote Originally Posted by rclark1 View Post
    Paul Nichols said 250R and 250 opti were about the same but the 300R was stronger than the 300 opti.
    That's hard to believe about the 250's...especially compared to the last year or two optis.

7. Moderator
    I'm surprised Paul said that, there is day and night difference in the bottom end and mid range power.
    The top end may be close to the same if both were set up perfect, but the 250r will be so far ahead of the 250xs leaving from an idle, that the xs would never catch up.

8. Member
    I thought the same thing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    I'm surprised Paul said that, there is day and night difference in the bottom end and mid range power.
    The top end may be close to the same if both were set up perfect, but the 250r will be so far ahead of the 250xs leaving from an idle, that the xs would never catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    In the spirit of good debate I will say I didn't see that at all.

I have logged data for both motors and the 250XS was quicker in the 5-85 and pulled to top speed from 60 much faster. Both were 250's with 1.75's. Not the same boats, but both loaded fishing Allison's. Don't take this wrong. I was impressed with the R and feel very fortunate to be able to have run one. If I was buying a brand new boat or was forced to repower I wouldn't flinch at getting the R.

I just didn't see a night and day difference and I wouldn't bet on one winning a race from idle. Especially not in East Texas....... LOL
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

The real question is will they be able to break the code and get big power out of them like they did the Yamaha SHO's? Another question is are they going to offer a 1.62 sporty for them. Reading up on the Bullet guys they are having to run a 34 pitch CNC prop to get big numbers and keep the 300R off the rev limiter. There is a guy here in Jacksonville with a 21 foot Bullet running over 110 with that combo. Also, Are the new V-6 4 strokes 150-225 going to have a compatible sporty gearcase? Those with the weight being around 450 would IMHO be a great motor for the smaller Allisons XB-2002's/2003's. There are lots of things I am waiting to see or hear about.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post

I have logged data for both motors and the 250XS was quicker in the 5-85 and pulled to top speed from 60 much faster. Both were 250's with 1.75's. Not the same boats, but both loaded fishing Allison's. Don't take this wrong. I was impressed with the R and feel very fortunate to be able to have run one. If I was buying a brand new boat or was forced to repower I wouldn't flinch at getting the R.

I just didn't see a night and day difference and I wouldn't bet on one winning a race from idle. Especially not in East Texas....... LOL
    Apples to apples .. How many were comparing the same gears.

I wouldn't bet on one winning a race from idle. Especially not in East Texas
    Not me.

12. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post

Don't get me wrong, I am a die hard 2-stroke guy, and have not done any data logging, just seat of the pants and watching how quick the numbers come up.
    Comparing two different 21 BasSport Pro's in that manner, both with 1.75 ratio's and 28p Pro Max props, the hole shot and acceleration is just no comparison in my opinion. This is even running the 250xs right after break-in with nothing in the boat except safety gear and two guys. The 250r is a good two seconds quicker from 0 to the time the bow drops and from 40 to 50 mph when you floor it it will actually set you back in the seat and cock the boat up on the side even with a tournament and the same two guys. The acceleration in the mid range is what I have missed on the 21 footers since day one, I loved the way a 2003 would accelerate with a 225 Pro Max, the 250r gets pretty close to doing the same on the 21's from what I've seen.
    Maybe the 250r you ran did not have the throttle set up correctly, the only way you can set it is with a Mercury CDS or G3 computer.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    There is a guy here in Jacksonville with a 21 foot Bullet running over 110 with that combo.
    Steve is running a 20' Bullet at 110, no troller, fishing gear, etc.....not a 21.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Steve is running a 20' Bullet at 110, no troller, fishing gear, etc.....not a 21.
    thats what I was thinking. 20ft’er
    Allison XB 2002, 2.5 280

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Still dang impressive!
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

16. Member
    I have seen 3 of the 250 R’s running now. Not ions of time driving and watching them, but a considerable amount of time given the running was none/stop for many hours on end. I’ve owned a a few, no I’d have to say I have owned many 250 2-strokes over the years. My opinion is the same as Paul’s. The R Motor’s have a crazy holeshot and the midrange is faster IMHO than 2-strokes. Geoff when we wore Woody’s boat and motor out at my place this summer, as impressive as it was, it wasn’t broke in. I think that may be the different in this debate.

17. Member
    I am confused. Paul said they were about the same. You say the R Motor's have a crazy holeshot and the midrange is faster IMHO than 2-strokes. You then say your opinion is the same as Paul's. Probably me but I don't understand? It sounds like your opinion is not the same as Paul's?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    I am confused. Paul said they were about the same. You say the R Motor's have a crazy holeshot and the midrange is faster IMHO than 2-strokes. You then say your opinion is the same as Paul's. Probably me but I don't understand? It sounds like your opinion is not the same as Paul's?
    I was confused as well lol
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    Sorry Catfish, I misread Lee's comment. "I'm surprised Paul said that, there is day and night difference in the bottom end and mid range power.
    The top end may be close to the same if both were set up perfect, but the 250r will be so far ahead of the 250xs leaving from an idle, that the xs would never catch up." I was reading that last line as a take from Paul. I'm in agreement with Lee and not Paul based on what I saw. 15 hours yesterday with 95% of the daylight hours running these R motors had me tired last night. LOL

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    I was confused as well lol
    Dan be honest, it don't take much to confuse a yankee. LOL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast