Thread: Brisket flat

Brisket flat

I saw a brisket flat in the meat case. While it looked like a good size for when just cooking for my wife and I I wasn’t sure if something that thin would come out well.

Anybody just smoke the flat?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    You got to be careful not to dry it out. Not as much fat makes that tricky to do. That cut is really made for a braise but if you pull it off it makes good q.

3. Banned
    Flats are best next day cold lunch snacks

4. Member
    I always smoke flats and points seperate. They are two very different cuts of meat. Store seperated and trimmed flats can have a bit less fat, but I've never found they needed anything special. I do inject all my beef cuts with Kosmo's or Better then Boullion (great stuff you can get in any supermarket). Cook all my beef at 275° till the internal is +/- 160° AND the rub is firmly set (dosen't come off when you drag your finger lightly over it). Wrap with 1/4c injection and cook till 200°. unwrap and back on the smoker till a knifer will slide in without resistancer (typically 203° for choice, 207° for Prime and 210° for waygu).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

5. Member
    From what I find around here is you can buy a whole brisket for the same price as the flat. Whole is usually $2.98/lb and Flat is $4.98/lb So I see no benefit in buying just the flat. If it is just 2 people eating it will freeze and reheat great.