Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hydraulic steering is really stiff

My 2007 CX183 Champion with 150 Optimax and Tempest 23p steering is stiff. This is my first boat with hydraulic steering and has been hard to steer since I bought it in April. It steers fine at idle but when I get on plane it takes both hands and hard pulling to turn in either direction. I have raised and lowered the motor and it doesn't seem to change. (currently set at about 4" ptp) Top speed with partner is about 53 mph, but I do have it loaded down with tackle. I have checked the fluid on the console and it is full. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Banned
    Mine gets stiff when I’m too high p2p, how much did you lower it and how stiff is stiff? Like 2 hands to turn stiff?

I was told by many on here that 3.5 to 4" p2p is where I needed to be. They were correct, as 4" seems to be about right. Yes it takes both arms and hard pulling to get it to turn in either direction. I hear people saying how easy hydraulic is to steer, but this is way harder than any other boat that I have driven and they were all single cable.

4. Member
    Just my opinion, but check your hoses and connections for any leaks and was it bled per instructions exactly as writen in the installtion manual,

5. Banned
    Any chance you have the smaller system, I think it was called “baystar”, those were maxed @ 150hp. Could be the reason if you have that system. Maybe.

6. Pat Goff
    I hope not...baystar can't hold a V6 torque, don't care what they say. Had one try to kill me when it went full lock and couldn't come out of a turn. Slung me 60 feet out of the boat in 40 degree water.

If you want to just fix it, put a skeg mounted trim tab on it, and you're done.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    I have the same problem 2007 183 Evinrude 150 HO , my first hydraulic steering system , always seemed stiff , normal I figured , the test is for us to drive someone boat to see what it feels like

If the steering is free at idle and stiff under power, then we feel the engine is too high.

BayStar Plus with the same 1500 Kevlar hoses is rated for the 150 HP.

Standard BayStar with poly hoses is not.

9. Member
    I think you have another issue other than motor height if it is hard to steer in both directions and you have to crank on it. Normally it is only in one direction because of the torque on the prop and you have the motor too high on the transom. Normally you can't turn counter clockwise. But in your case ( both directions ) this is not good. Something is definitely wrong. Check to see if you have a kink in the line. I would be very careful and don't run the boat until you figure this out. See this article ( and look for others )....

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...hell-turn.html

Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    I think you have another issue other than motor height if it is hard to steer in both directions and you have to crank on it. Normally it is only in one direction because of the torque on the prop and you have the motor too high on the transom. Normally you can't turn counter clockwise. But in your case ( both directions ) this is not good. Something is definitely wrong. Check to see if you have a kink in the line. I would be very careful and don't run the boat until you figure this out. See this article ( and look for others )....

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...hell-turn.html
    I have read that article before (and several others). It already has a trim tab installed. I will try to unhook it from the motor this weekend to see if the motor swings freely. I will also check for kinks in the hoses this weekend. After I get on plane and start trimming it up it starts to get stiff. The more I trim up the stiffer it gets. When I trim down to where it steers easier the nose is to low and I have no speed. Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it.

11. Member
    Lower the motor on the transom and see what happens.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

2009 CX183 with the Rude HO and mine has been stiff from day one. Running at 3-5/8 under pad so thats not it. I've tried everything from 4" to 3.25" with no change in steering.

It has the Seastar steering, not the baystar. I had a Stratos 185 and I could get it to neutral feeling and then was two finger steering. Not this one.

Sounds like an issue with the 183's...Not sure what it can be, but I've gotten used to it.
    Last edited by Glenn_S; 12-15-2018 at 11:04 PM.
    http://www.minnbass.com

“A ‘Liberal Paradise’ would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns.

And . . . believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist … It's called prison.”

13. Member
    I think you guys have a kink in your line somewhere which blocks the free movement of the fluid in your lines. follow your lines from the steering wheel all the way to the motor. Something is wrong. this will also build undo pressure in your system.

14. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 Champ View Post
    Just my opinion, but check your hoses and connections for any leaks and was it bled per instructions exactly as writen in the installtion manual,
    I would think a system needing bleeding would have excessive slack in the steering. I've noticed on my 210 that for a given speed, there is a trim setting that will let me easily steer with one hand. Mind you though that I haven't tried that at WFO ...

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    I would think a system needing bleeding would have excessive slack in the steering. I've noticed on my 210 that for a given speed, there is a trim setting that will let me easily steer with one hand. Mind you though that I haven't tried that at WFO ...
    This means yours system is working properly. It should have torque in one direction until you trim your motor to the perfect trim. Glen and arepress have steering pressure in both directions - this is not normal. Something is definitely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    I hope not...baystar can't hold a V6 torque, don't care what they say. Had one try to kill me when it went full lock and couldn't come out of a turn. Slung me 60 feet out of the boat in 40 degree water.

If you want to just fix it, put a skeg mounted trim tab on it, and you're done.
    I looked this up on amazon. I'd try it. The Godfather recommended it.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

Can't run a skeg, the prop would hit it.

I have a thought...I've heard that guys use ATF rather than hydraulic fluid, saying it works fine. Thinking about my rig, the fluid is red. and ATF is thicker than hydraulic fluid. This got me thinking that as Champion was going down in BK they started using a less expensive alternative. If the ATF is that much thicker, it may make the steering tighter.

I can't do anything right now with the boat in storage, but I think I'm going to change fluid in the spring to the right product nd see what happens. Worst case, I have fresh fluid, best case it resolves the tough steering.
    Last edited by Glenn_S; 12-15-2018 at 11:05 PM.

“A ‘Liberal Paradise’ would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns.

And . . . believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist … It's called prison.”

champion1955 and arxpress, what color is the fluid in your system?

19. Member
    You cant necessarily rely on the color of the fluid.

ATF is red and is more viscous ( thicker ) than the Seastar labeled clear fluid.
    However, aviation hydraulic fluid is also red and is approximately the same viscosity of the Seastar fluid and costs similar to ATF.
    Seastar used to recommend the aviation fluid until a few years ago when they coincidentally raised the already absurd price of their own branded fluid.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

20. Member
    I would think kinked hose, or bad seal inside the actuator, either one will increase the torque necessary to turn it. I run a Suzuki 175 4 stroke, I'm 76 and about average and don't have any trouble turning mine. That or motor mount bushings shot or need lube. There should be grease gun fittings (zerks) on the leg. The Sea Star also has a "Pro" helm that requires more arm because it is quicker.
    If it's only hard at speed, it may not be the system, but an outside factor.
    I don't think bleeding will help any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast