New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Question How many pounds rating for safety cables

Wondering thinking of changing my chains too cables how many pounds do I need for a 1990 Ranger trail and 374v. Boat to be adequate?
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    My trailer, a Load-rite came with cables. I liked them. I went to hook them up before a tournament last week and one snapped off right past the crimp on the trailer due to corrosion/rust. Chains don't corrode, and I made one quickly with 1/4" chain. I will replace the other one.

3. Banned
    You think they would use stainless cable.

my best guess would be 3500-4000 lbs.
    just to throw my 2 cents out there . I (had) cables on a utility trailer. IMO they were not user friendly and after some use the nylon coating got compromised - if there is any loose strands of cable showing they will find a way to stick you. after running one under a fingernail I removed them..

5. Member
    You want cables WITHOUT a coating that you can't see through. water WILL work it's way into the coating and corrode the cables where you can't see it.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Restraint devices are supposed to be rated at twice the load for safety as per DOT. That sounds like overkill but would put you at 6000#.
    You hope you never need them but if you do they better not break. Cables are much stronger than chain, especially if the chain is twisted and put under a shock load.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    Restraint devices are supposed to be rated at twice the load for safety as per DOT. That sounds like overkill but would put you at 6000#.
    You hope you never need them but if you do they better not break. Cables are much stronger than chain, especially if the chain is twisted and put under a shock load.
    How is that??
    If there both rated for 6000 Lbs.

8. Member
    Probably because a cable can stretch a little and absorb shock better. I have cables on my boat but still prefer a chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Probably because a cable can stretch a little and absorb shock better. I have cables on my boat but still prefer a chain.
    That and a chain needs to be significantly larger for the same rating. Look up working loads for chain vs. cable. I prefer the cables on mine. they seem to be easier to manage because they are coiled and out of the way. To each his own.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

I had chains on my 1991 Ranger trailer and cables on my 2001 Ranger trailer. I liked the chains MUCH better. My advice: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 10-29-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    I will add, cables might be rated at X pounds but they are also crimped, at least mine on a Load Rite were, and that would be a weak link. A crimp is a pretty good connection but I'd bet it won't pull test at 6000 pounds, especially if shock loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    That and a chain needs to be significantly larger for the same rating. Look up working loads for chain vs. cable. I prefer the cables on mine. they seem to be easier to manage because they are coiled and out of the way. To each his own.
    Guess thats why I've never seen cable on the BIG gooseneck trailers.
    To get the rated capacity in cable it might be hard to bend..
    Like you say "To each his own" I spent half my time untangling the light plug and the brake cable from the safety cable coils.
    PS A chain will stretch -- I've seen some stretched to the point the links were touching in the middle

13. Joe4d
    to actually answer your question , if you go to E trailers. com they list the cables by the weight of the towed trailer... AS in item,, A is rated for up to 5000lb trailer.

14. Member
    I am surprised nobody make spectra cables. Where is that "the leash" guy when you need him. Probably would cost $400 though.

15. Member
    I have been in a wreck while towing my boat. The straps all snap and then trailer welds break and you need to buy a new tailgate.

Switching to chain or cable is only going to help with sun rot.

16. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I remember a friend of mine was towing to a tourney in NY and coming off an exit in a chevy surburban with a 373V and was rear ended at the bottom of exit and it pushed his boat right through the back window and into the surburban , so I guess there mostly for if the trailer slips off or comes off the ball and it won't reach the ground and dig in.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

That's about all there going to do.