Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bcreek View Post
    Its California dude.

Or because he is the one paying for them...

I have had 17s on my Ranger for 5 seasons and never a problem, but, it is dual axle. You do not want low profile tires on a single axle trailer. On a dual axle trailer the tire will not sink into the pothole as in a single axle because the second axle will provide some support and lift allowing the wheel to float over the hole a bit. Low profile tires also do not have the load rating as regular tires, but with dual axles they provide the combined load rating needed.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    I have had 17s on my Ranger for 5 seasons and never a problem, but, it is dual axle. You do not want low profile tires on a single axle trailer. On a dual axle trailer the tire will not sink into the pothole as in a single axle because the second axle will provide some support and lift allowing the wheel to float over the hole a bit. Low profile tires also do not have the load rating as regular tires, but with dual axles they provide the combined load rating needed.
    have them on my single axle with no issues, agree though a duel axle would be better.. you CAN find 17" tires with a very similar to same load rating if you go to a XL (xtra load) tire.

4. Member
    No low profile tires on my trailers. Im still trying to figure out why guys put them on a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by clearlake outdoors View Post
    No low profile tires on my trailers. Im still trying to figure out why guys put them on a truck.
    Handling is the answer. Less tire sway/flex, flatter cornering. Same with trailering. Less sway, better surface contact, no fish tailing.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clearlake outdoors View Post
    I'm with him. The last thing I'd want is for my Gambler to look like it came from the hood of bass boats! Keep the bling bling where it belongs.

7. Member
    My new Bass Cat came with 15" rims and General tires. They are not low profile. I love how the look and ride.
    Brad Krone

I went from14 to 15" on my Stratos trailer. Carlisle makes a 235/60-15 low profile trailer tire that is the same heighth as the 14" I replaced. Looks lots better and gained 900 lb capacity.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I think when you guys are thinking low profile tires your thinking of tires with literally no sidewall, 17" tires on a trailer still have a decent amount of sidewall and you honestly would be impressed how good they look. With 17's you dont look like a pimped out gangbanger ride.. tons of factory rangers and bass cats running 17's you prob do not realize.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    I think when you guys are thinking low profile tires your thinking of tires with literally no sidewall, 17" tires on a trailer still have a decent amount of sidewall and you honestly would be impressed how good they look. With 17's you dont look like a pimped out gangbanger ride.. tons of factory rangers and bass cats running 17's you prob do not realize.
    I agree with this. Most of these guys are thinking its gonna look and ride like 20-22s with rubber bands on them. If you are already running 14” wheels its not as extreme as you think. I dont have the fender room so i went from 13s to 15s and higher quality tires and it rides and looks so kuch better.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    My best example is my boat trailer, single axle, with high sidewall 175/80R13 trailer tires at 55psi. I was turning/pulling onto the pavement, and the gravel-to-pavement transition was severe; probably a 2-3" rise. I was literally at crawling speed, 1-2mph, and watching in the mirror for when the tire hit the pavement. I was shocked to see the tire literally collapse half of it's sidewall height when it met the sharp edge of the pavement, and that was at 55psi!.
    Be extremely careful if you go low profile.
    Ive been in the same situation with that size and type of tire which was my stock size and they are too light duty for a rig like yoursand mine. I mean barely adequate. They flex because they are too soft bottom line.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Ive been in the same situation with that size and type of tire which was my stock size and they are too light duty for a rig like yoursand mine. I mean barely adequate. They flex because they are too soft bottom line.
    Thicker construction will lead to a tougher tire, and slightly more resistance to flexing, but in the end it's the air pressure carrying the load. Even a "cheap" trailer tire is considerably thicker/stiffer than a passenger car tire.
    And only the OP can make this decision, as many boat trailers have no extra clearance for a bigger outside diameter tire. So for those trailers, going to a bigger rim size automatically means going to lower profile sidewalls.

Thicker construction will lead to a tougher tire, and slightly more resistance to flexing, but in the end it's the air pressure carrying the load. Even a "cheap" trailer tire is considerably thicker/stiffer than a passenger car tire.
    And only the OP can make this decision, as many boat trailers have no extra clearance for a bigger outside diameter tire. So for those trailers, going to a bigger rim size automatically means going to lower profile sidewalls.
    I ran 13” tires for 8 years and always had the same issue plus a huge lack of selection for radials. Plys and construction staill play a huge roll its not all about air pressure. I switched to a 15” wheel same exact od tire so obviously a lower profile tire but plenty of sidewall still. From 13” trailer tires at 50 psi i now have equal weight rating for the load of my boat and trailer 15” car tires at 44 psi max rating with considerable and i mean considerably less sidewall flex over bumps but still enough to not effect the ride. I always thought the 13” tires looked half flat all the time even max inflated. Its not the best setup out there unless its a smaller boat. Going lower profile is not always a negative thing if you so your homework.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Banned
    I ran 13” tires for 8 years and always had the same issue plus a huge lack of selection for radials. Plys and construction staill play a huge roll its not all about air pressure. I switched to a 15” wheel same exact od tire so obviously a lower profile tire but plenty of sidewall still. From 13” trailer tires at 50 psi i now have equal weight rating for the load of my boat and trailer 15” car tires at 44 psi max rating with considerable and i mean considerably less sidewall flex over bumps but still enough to not effect the ride. I always thought the 13” tires looked half flat all the time even max inflated. Its not the best setup out there unless its a smaller boat. Going lower profile is not always a negative thing if you so your homework.
    I build tires, so I'm very familiar with "ply" ratings, and tire construction. Lets just say, what the average person is told/sold about "ply ratings" is mostly fake news. Genuine ply ratings haven't existed since bias ply tires became obsolete.
    The OP wants/needs a true low profile tire, that's trailer rated. I don't think he will find such an animal.
    He's got a heavy boat on a single axle trailer, and the picture he supplied shows no clearance for a bigger OD tire. Unless he has perfect roads, he has few options.
    In the real world, the roads aren't fit for a car tire/heavy boat/single axle combo.
    Last edited by Nova Kaw 650; 11-03-2018 at 05:47 AM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Why would you be more likely to bend a wheel on a trailer than the same size tire on a vehicle?
    A vehicle has relatively long suspension travel and shock absorbers, which makes hitting pot holes much easier on tires and wheels.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

I build tires, so I'm very familiar with "ply" ratings, and tire construction. Lets just say, what the average person is told/sold about "ply ratings" is mostly fake news. Genuine ply ratings haven't existed since bias ply tires became obsolete.
    The OP wants/needs a true low profile tire, that's trailer rated. I don't think he will find such an animal.
    He's got a heavy boat on a single axle trailer, and the picture he supplied shows no clearance for a bigger OD tire. Unless he has perfect roads, he has few options.
    In the real world, the roads aren't fit for a car tire/heavy boat/single axle combo.
    So you are basically saying that ply ratings are irrelevant then? There is no difference in performance and load carrying of say a 2 ply sidewall to a 4 or 6?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

17. Banned
    So you are basically saying that ply ratings are irrelevant then? There is no difference in performance and load carrying of say a 2 ply sidewall to a 4 or 6?
    Ply ratings is a throwback to bias ply construction; it's just a comparison. An old bias ply tire with an 8 ply rating literally had 8 fabric body plies wrapped around the tire.
    As a general rule, the only sidewall difference (on a radial tire) between a 2 ply and 4/6/8 is the thickness of the rubber in the sidewall, which offers a bit of stiffness and more so abrasion and puncture resistance. The number of actual (polyester) body plies remains at at 2. With some manufacturers, the additional ply "numbers" come from including the summit plies (under the tread), which includes at least 2 layers of steel belts, and perhaps a layer or two of kevlar and/or nylon.
    Very heavy duty LT tires and heavy truck tire radials may have more than two sidewall plies

18. Member
    Same as K&K but bought high end Michelins. pricey but holding up well.

19. Banned
    Seems like a lot of trouble to just change the looks. I think your wheels you have on there now look good.

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    When I did a lot of drag racing in the 90’s we still used bias plied tires G60, N50...I see completely what you’re saying and I agree. To change a rim 1” and find a tire with the same o.d. should not be hard, and a good, quality radial tire that can handle the load isn’t that hard to find.

If he was going from 14’s to 18-19” rims I’d say that’s crazy but getting into a 15” tire should be no problem...15” rims were what the tire industry really built their technology around even if you can barely find a new car with such small wheels these days.

The auto industry offers 22” rims on most every truck these days but the trailer industry (non commercial) stayed at 15 and under for the most part, and I think it’s because there’s no $$ to be made. I would love to put 15’s on my trailer and since my boat is a tin, the weight would be no issue...I’d just order larger plastic fenders and put a 235/60/15 on it.

Frankly, I agree that the rims are in good shape, look good and the money is better spent on a good quality tire. I’d leave em.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast