Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

210 with a V8 numbers

Surely nobody will mind that I screenshot this from Facebook, figured some of you guys would like to see it.

2. Member
    Thanks grout and kyle!

My 210 won't run over 70.
    I got nothin

4. Banned
    I asked last night what the prop was, 3 blade fury 24. Said they will prob try a 23 to get the rpms up.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I asked last night what the prop was, 3 blade fury 24. Said they will prob try a 23 to get the rpms up.
    I've got to ask why I'm running a 25 then? It still catches, just slower to get there than my old 396 w/225hp.
    I got nothin

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    My 210 won't run over 70.

Did TOC ever go out with you to try multiple props? I know Blake’s is putting 24 Tempests on them the were b and b’d by Steve’s Custom Props.

Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    Did TOC ever go out with you to try multiple props? I know Blake’s is putting 24 Tempests on them the were b and b’d by Steve’s Custom Props.
    No, I haven't had the opportunity as yet. I may send the prop off this winter and have it blueprinted. I can always buy another, it's only money.
    I got nothin

8. Banned
    I've got to ask why I'm running a 25 then? It still catches, just slower to get there than my old 396 w/225hp.

The v8’s run at a higher rpm, but what are your rpms when at WOT? Should be close to 6k on your motor.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 10-27-2018 at 03:43 PM.

The v8’s run at a higher rpm, but what are your rpms when at WOT? Should be close to 6k on your motor.

I know where a brand new (ran 1 time) 24 tempest is for fairly cheap, $400. I thought about buying it, but I already have 3 props sitting that I don’t use.
    5650 is the best I've seen. Normal speed at that RPM is 68.0. I've seen 70.5, once in a cold April, didn't notice the R's.
    I got nothin

10. Banned
    5650 is the best I've seen. Normal speed at that RPM is 68.0. I've seen 70.5, once in a cold April, didn't notice the R's.

Yeah, you’d prob be better off with a 24. I wonder if your hotfoot is letting the motor see full throttle? You ever had anyone look at the butterfly while pressing down the hotfoot?

11. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Rpms have nothing to do with speed if your not getting good bite you are not going to get any speed.A good 27 will always be faster than a good 25 even at lower rpms.Just for example we have ran 71-72 at 5200 rpms and 68 at 6000 with a 25.The new v8 has me confused as guys are dropping to 23 to get the normal speed of the 2 strokes.The sho are usually a pitch higher than their 2 strokes of the past.
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 10-27-2018 at 04:51 PM.

12. Member
    Jim, maybe you and TOC can get together since it is fall now and try out some of his props.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Rpms have nothing to do with speed if your not getting good bite you are not going to get any speed.A good 27 will always be faster than a good 25 even at lower rpms.Just for example we have ran 71-72 at 5200 rpms and 68 at 6000 with a 25.The new v8 has me confused as guys are dropping to 23 to get the normal speed of the 2 strokes.The sho are usually a pitch higher than their 2 strokes of the past.

I dropped a pitch to a 24 from a 25 on my merc 225 Pro XS and gained 2 mph, motor was lugging too bad being under rpm’d. Motors made to make its hp in a certain range, like putting 35” tires on a truck made for small tires.

14. Member
    Yea. The lower unit have to be more efficient in some way. Guys are turning 23s to the same numbers as 25s on the old motors. Which is strange because like you say, the SHO likes a bigger prop.

15. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I dropped a pitch to a 24 from a 25 on my merc 225 Pro XS and gained 2 mph, motor was lugging too bad being under rpm’d. Motors made to make its hp in a certain range, like putting 35” tires on a truck made for small tires.
    Maybe the 24 has more bite than the 25 you had?Seen that a hundred times.iUsally a prop with more bite can be ran higher and easier for the motor to reach that power band and that depends on motor.
    The 797 we ran with a sho would spin a 29 like a 27 just a big power house unlike the 250 mercs we have ran.Most of them can’t get out of the hole with a 25.Seems like the 225 merc 2 strokes have a ton of low end power and than shut down on the big end.

16. Member
    Yeah, you’d prob be better off with a 24. I wonder if your hotfoot is letting the motor see full throttle? You ever had anyone look at the butterfly while pressing down the hotfoot?
    Defintely could be a throttle issue as well. Might want to have that checked.

17. Banned
    Maybe the 24 has more bite than the 25 you had?Seen that a hundred times.iUsally a prop with more bite can be ran higher and easier for the motor to reach that power band and that depends on motor.
    The 797 we ran with a sho would spin a 29 like a 27 just a big power house unlike the 250 mercs we have ran.Most of them can’t get out of the hole with a 25.Seems like the 225 merc 2 strokes have a ton of low end power and than shut down on the big end.

Somewheres there’s a fine line where your motor needs to run at a certain rpm to produce its hp. I have no clue on a sho, but apparently merc needs to make some rpms to produce their power. I understand that a 27 is supposed to move 27” per revolution, but making the motor lug 600-800 less rpms isn’t always going to be faster than making a 24 spin a lot fast than that 27 is. Somewheres there’s some serious math and I’m way to dumb too even think about attempting it!

18. Banned
    No, I haven't had the opportunity as yet. I may send the prop off this winter and have it blueprinted. I can always buy another, it's only money.
    I ran a 25 Tempest also... They can be dogs out of the box. Definitely sent it off to be balanced and blueprinted... Mark Croxton does some excellent work, and he has fast turn around to boot... Might want to try raising the engine a 1/4 inch or so too... Dan

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    I ran a 25 Tempest also... They can be dogs out of the box. Definitely sent it off to be balanced and blueprinted... Mark Croxton does some excellent work, and he has fast turn around to boot... Might want to try raising the engine a 1/4 inch or so too... Dan
    He runs a 25 Fury not a Tempest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Bob's hydraulic plate. Not a whole bunch of difference from 2, 2 1/4 or up to 3" below the pad. What I have noticed is it only takes about 1/2 the trim to get up and go. Prop is a 25 Fury.

I also had Ulrich check the throttle cable, it is ok.
    I got nothin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast