Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Excessive carbon build-up - 2006 - 250HPDI

Just had my powerhead repaired (#3 cylinder blown after only 68 hours) and the technician mentioned that the cylinder and piston were covered with carbon build-up. Powerhead never had anything but ethanol-free 91 octane fuel and Ring Free added every tankful and never run low on oil. Never ran it over 5500 RPMs. Anyone have any idea what might be causing the carbon build-up?

BTW, Jasper refused to make good on their powerhead that had only been run for 7 months and had just 68 hours on it. I'm not at all happy about spending $7k on that and getting hung out to dry by Jasper!!

2. Member
    What oil you running? Yamaha by chance? I would be trying to get in touch with someone higher up at Jasper if they don't have a good reason for denial of warranty. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

87 octane is what Yamaha recommends. 91 octane does not run hot enough and will cause carbon buildup. We had over 200 hrs on our 2006 hpdi 250, we ran Seafoam or Ringfree plus Amsoil oil. We just updated to a Sho 250 a few months ago and the old hpdi was still running strong when we sold it

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

4. Member
    CJ1 - Thanks. The reason they denied it was that it was 14 months from when the powerhead was installed (12 month warranty) but the motor sat in winter storage for 7 of the 14 months (Northern NH). They said they wouldn't budge on their decision.

kk4iz - Thanks. The only reason I run 91 is because that is all that is available here in non-ethanol fuel.

5. Member
    I used to run 91 ethanol free also and noticed carbon build up in my exhaust in the hub. After researching it I found a discussion on it in the Mercury forum that stated that the correct octane was more critical than ethanol free. I switched to 87 with ethanol and my carbon problem resolved itself.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trioponds View Post
    CJ1 - Thanks. The reason they denied it was that it was 14 months from when the powerhead was installed (12 month warranty) but the motor sat in winter storage for 7 of the 14 months (Northern NH). They said they wouldn't budge on their decision.

kk4iz - Thanks. The only reason I run 91 is because that is all that is available here in non-ethanol fuel.
    What oil are you running? Cj

7. Member
    Yamaha 2-Stroke Oil

8. Member
    I had someone else tell me the same thing. I will talk to my technician about it and see what he thinks about that. Thank you.

9. Member
    Yamaha 2-Stroke Oil
    The reason I asked is that is known to be a very dirty oil. Switch to a good full synthetic. Lots of recommendations. I run amsoil. Cj

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    The reason I asked is that is known to be a very dirty oil. Switch to a good full synthetic. Lots of recommendations. I run amsoil. Cj

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FD209 View Post
    I used to run 91 ethanol free also and noticed carbon build up in my exhaust in the hub. After researching it I found a discussion on it in the Mercury forum that stated that the correct octane was more critical than ethanol free. I switched to 87 with ethanol and my carbon problem resolved itself.
    That is just a forum about Mercury's by a bunch of guys.

Mercury Marine's position is that 92 octane is perfectly acceptable. In fact, Mercury (the company) has stated that given the choice between (a) 92 octane with 0% ethanol and (b) 87 octane with up to 10% ethanol then choice (a) is their recommendation.

From a Mercury owner's manual:

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Agreed. Yamalube is known to result in carbon fouling/buildup. Many that have had such problems have had them miraculously disappear when switching to a full synthtic oil.

13. Member
    Big block HPDI's are known to be somewhat susceptible to detonation. They do not use a knock sensor. The use of gasoline with a higher octane rating is the single most important thing that a big block HPDI owner can do to mitigate the chance of detonation happening.

Carbon buildup can be mitigated and prevented in a number of ways. Much cheaper dealing with carbon buildup than it is in dealing with a hole in a piston.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    That is just a forum about Mercury's by a bunch of guys.

Mercury Marine's position is that 92 octane is perfectly acceptable. In fact, Mercury (the company) has stated that given the choice between (a) 92 octane with 0% ethanol and (b) 87 octane with up to 10% ethanol then choice (a) is their recommendation.

From a Mercury owner's manual:
    Yea, I didn't want to get into a discussion about fuels but I always run a higher octane than recommended with no ill effects. Sunoco has a very informative site about fuels and results of operation. I have built quite a few engines and seen the damage from poor fuel. The only ill effects I have seen from a octane rating too high was a strip car actually lost hp. The compression ratio was not high enough to burn the fuel effectively. The perfect octane for a engine is just above the level of detonation. BUT if anything changes guess what, you have a junk piston assembly. So if a HPDI calls for 89 octane and you put 89 in the tank and it is a little old and has lost some of the rating and you run it in a high load condition or you have a injector that is not 100% guess what, you now own a piston [or many] that have a hole or destroyed top and ring. Or it rattles the locating pin out and jams a ring in a port. If you put 93 in it you MAY loose a bit a very tiny bit of horsepower. Personally I would rather be safe than sorry. When I store my boat I will dump a few gallons of 116 non oxy fuel in just to stabilize and guarantee I have good fuel to start the season. I do not run ethanol in anything other than my road vehicles that get used every day. cj

15. Member
    Yep, given the choice between bad stuff happening from gasoline with more than the minimum recommended octane and bad stuff happening from detonation, give me the high octane bad stuff. Much cheaper to deal with than a hole in a piston.

But then Evinrude and Mercury both say there is no bad stuff that is going to happen if one uses gasoline with a higher than minimum recommended octane grade.

What in the heck do the manufacturers know anyway?

16. Member
    I wont run ethanol, no matter the octane! Its junk!!!!! I run amsoil and have no carbon build up in my HPDI.

17. Member
    Just returned from an extended vacation. Thank you all for your input. It has been very helpful and informative. My technician agrees with the notion that the Yamaha lube may be the primary cause of the carbon build-up. He feels that, unless the motor is run wide-open most of the time, the higher octane could also contribute to the carbon buildup as well.

18. Member
    Just returned from an extended vacation. Thank you all for your input. It has been very helpful and informative. My technician agrees with the notion that the Yamaha lube may be the primary cause of the carbon build-up. He feels that, unless the motor is run wide-open most of the time, the higher octane could also contribute to the carbon buildup as well.
    Did he give any reason why he feels this way?

I don't know of a single automobile or outboard motor maker that provides any cautions or warnings about gasoline with a higher than minimum octane rating in any way contributing to carbon build up.

Carbon buildup is the reason for the detonation in most cases! Sometime lean mixtures a contributing factor
    87 octane always when allowed for by manufacture, synthetic oil or blend always, Top tier fuel (no cheap crap) and allways run a high quality cleaner such as mercury quickean, or chevron techron (black label). Far less carbon, restricted injectors and most likely no detonation issues.
    Notice I did not mentions ring free which I have used a lot of, Techron and Quicklean are far better
    87 octane burns faster and much cleaner than 91 octane, High quality synthetic oils form a lot less deposits, Top tier fuels such as chevron, Union and even shell will help a great deal in keeping deposit under control and they generally have much better anti knock qualities.
    10 percent ethanol or less is not a problem unless you let it sit in the tank for long periods of time, Ethanol is also a very good solvent for breaking down gum & varnish. It also tends to run a little cooler
    The only problem with alcohol is when moisture is introduced into the fuel and it is allowed to sit for while, it will cause phase separation allowing the alcohol to mix with the water and drops the lowest areas it can find. Keep in mind the alcohol is the ingredient that boost the octane. When you fire it up you pull that alcohol/water mix first, the rest of the fuel now has a lower octane due to the phase separation. If you are not going to use the boat within a month, you must add a high quality stabilizer (not sea foam)
    Top tier fuel I find usually as a lower percentage of alcohol, I have found in my area Chevron being the lowest at 5-6 percent
    Also when it separates as described and is concentrated as a result it is extremely corrosive. Without water in the mix and excessive time without use there no issues with a 10% fuel blend
    It is far better to run 87 with alcohol than 91 without, Just be aware of what I have posted here and use sensible precautions

I wont go fully into my credentials on this subject, I have many years of experience dealing with alcohol blends and was the first person on the west coast to get a computer controlled carbureted motor to properly function on M-85 (85% methanol-15% gas) or any mix percentage of from 100% gas to 85% alcohol way back in 1985. I learned a lot about it and how to deal with it.
    Last edited by lpugh; 11-29-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Member
    Solid advice, thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast