Thread: Beef short ribs

Beef short ribs

I have been wanting to do these for awhile but could not find any that had not been trimmed down to where there was very little meat left on them. Well yesterday my wife came in with a slab of good looking ribs so this morning I cut 2 ribs off the slab. The 2 ribs weighed 3.2 pounds I seasoned them with coarse ground black pepper, Kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder and red pepper. I put them on the smoker at 10 AM at 235 degree and it was 4:45 PM before they were probe tender.

Plated them with some smoked mac n cheese and cold slaw and they were tender and moist. I will be doing the other half of the slab before long.

2. Member
    Looks Great! I did my first rack of beef short ribs last month. Smoked a 5lb, 4-bone rack at 250 for 6-1/2 hours on my Lang stick burner until probe tender. Turned out great! Will be doing them again. Curt

3. Member
    Curt,
    I agree I will buy more of these when I can find them. They are hard to find here in rural Oklahoma. My wife found picked these up at a Wal Mart supper center this was the 1st time she has seen them there.

4. Member
    Those look really good. Nice job. Save those bones for some beef stock.

5. Member
    they seam to be hard to find here in N.E. Ga. too...I love em! You did a nice job! I also love to smoke my mac and cheese on the egg...My wife makes it from scratch in numerous batches and we freeze it...then take one batch out and put in in the egg with pecan wood...I'm now starving hungry!

6. Member
    Look Yummy!

Almost any grocery store can get you these if you just ask.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

Sam's Club has them all the time. Find out what day they get a truck in. I'll go the night before about 30 minutes before closing. They'll put meat in the case os special. Got four packs of chicken legs for $3 each a couple of weeks ago
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

8. Member
    what wood did you use to smoke those ? looks great !

9. Member

10. Member
    @lukethedog Try some Oak on beef. My second would be Cherry

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lukethedog View Post
    what wood did you use to smoke those ? looks great !
    I used oak.

12. Member
    I use Cherry the most but will mix some Oak in on occasion. I have a local supplier that sells wood for smokers that is dried for 1-1/2 to 2 years in small splits and with the bark removed. Here is a 1/2 cord load I purchased last year.