Gas Venting Problems

I recently purchased a 2014 721 ProXP from a buddy of mine. Before he sold it to me, he showed me a place on the trailer fender right under the gas fill and vent where the Gatorhyde was bubbling up real bad. He said he thought it was from the gas burping out of the vent and fill hole while he tried to fill the boat up with gas. The first time I tried to fill up myself, the same thing happened to me. I had to slow the pump down so much I thought I would never get the thing filled with gas without it burping gas out of the fill hole.
    Just wondering if this is a common issue and what can be done to mitigate the problem?

Thanks,
    Joey McCall

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Common issue for a lot of folks but Phoenix has since fixed it. My buddy’s 2012 721 can be a real pain to fill. Amazes me up that several carry a 2x4 around to lift the boat higher so they can fill it. I made sure this was not an issue when I got my 2018
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    First off have you called customer service. Phoenix is awesome at CS. Never heard of that happening but should be an easy fix.

4. Member
    I have a brand new one. Still an issue for me. Splashes out every time and then the tank will still hold 3 or 4 gallons of fuel. It has to be that device that probably keeps fuel from coming backwards out of the tank.

Turn the nozzle upside down. 180 degrees. Works on my 2013 721.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

6. Member
    Also if you gave merc monitor reset your fuel usage each fill up so you know how much you need to put in. Mine takes gas up to full but the auto shutoff will burp when all the way full.

Quote Originally Posted by duncankopprichardson View Post
    Also if you gave merc monitor reset your fuel usage each fill up so you know how much you need to put in. Mine takes gas up to full but the auto shutoff will burp when all the way full.

My fuel gauge is off when near empty. It says empty and when I add fuel I never get close to 50 gallons even with it spilling out. I have the Merc Monitor gauge. Is there a way to reset it?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I heard of this, so before I even noticed a problem I just hold the nozzle upside down or handle up at 1 o'clock. I can set the auto lock on nozzle handle. It does splash out when it clicks off when full if I'm not careful, but all boats will do that if you run it till handle clicks off automatically.

9. Member
    Most stations have the concrete angled away from the outside pumps for cleaning/drainage. I make sure I pull up to the outside pumps. The lower you are on fuel, the worse it is.
    2014 920/SHO

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX721 View Post
    Turn the nozzle upside down. 180 degrees. Works on my 2013 721.
    I do this with the nozzle. It still splashes out and comes up way short of full. If I feather the pump at the end I can add 6 gallons after it first kicks off

11. Member
    I dont ever have problems but I dont ever go wide open with the pump, i go to the first notch that will hold it. Start it off slow and then ease it up. Lol Boy that sounds bad

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    the 2014s had a plastic tank with a check valve or backflo preventer , you can solve the issue by removing the check valve and replacing with a coupling and also replacing the vapor canister.
    the newer models dont have a check valve and the vapor canister has less restriction to breath and usually dont have filling issues but on all Phoenix's the fill hose is very close to being level therefor when its full its going to spill over.
    here are a few gas tank pics showing the different styles
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

13. Bob G's pool boy
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    My fuel gauge is off when near empty. It says empty and when I add fuel I never get close to 50 gallons even with it spilling out. I have the Merc Monitor gauge. Is there a way to reset it?
    If you are asking about resetting the Merc Monitor, yes. From the main menu, go to "Vessel" and a couple of scrolls and you will see the fuel used displayed. On the bottom there's an option to reset it.
    Last edited by billspence; 10-28-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Do it while your boat sits on a 2x4 with the handle upside down and takes an hour to fill up.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    What is the model number of the new vapor canister???

Here is what the check valve looks like on the inside.....dont know exactly what the flap does.....

YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

15. Member
    Looks like your missing a rubber flapper in that check valve

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Oh ok.......i guess i'm not EPA compliant.... hahaha......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS