Thread: Z21 or Z20

Z21 or Z20

looking at a new Z21. I came here to see what you guys had to say abut them. It looks like everyone is running smaller models. Is there a reason?

2. Member
    Plenty of Z21's out there. I personally like the storage layout of the Z21 over the Z20 on the front deck.
    I would choose a Z21 over a Z20.

3. Member
    Z20 with a 250 because it's plenty big and can go faster.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    Z21 is the real deal. Just got mine in June.
    Awesome ride. Get the new 250 Mercury Pro XS.

5. Member
    Love my Z21

6. Member
    I was looking at both models last year when I bought my Z21.

I priced out the Z20 with all the options I wanted. Then I priced the Z21. Most of the options I had to pay to add to the Z20, came standard on the Z21.

Yes, the Z21 is a few mph slower, and it doesn't have the NVT hull, but for me the storage layout and the big water ability of the Z21, along with its standard equipment made the decision easy.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXZ21 View Post
    I was looking at both models last year when I bought my Z21.

I priced out the Z20 with all the options I wanted. Then I priced the Z21. Most of the options I had to pay to add to the Z20, came standard on the Z21.

Yes, the Z21 is a few mph slower, and it doesn't have the NVT hull, but for me the storage layout and the big water ability of the Z21, along with its standard equipment made the decision easy.

The exact same reason I bought my Z21
    2017 Nitro Z21
    2017 250 Pro XS T2 (SN 2B401909)
    Bravo 1XS 26P
    BMS 12" Action Jack
    Ultrex 112# - Solix 12 - 12' Talons

Club: lunkersunlimited.net

Pay the extra few dollars if you can afford it...this way in the next year or two you won't be complaining about what you should have bought.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

9. Member
    They’re probably going to update the z21 hull very soon is my gusss.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBass View Post
    They’re probably going to update the z21 hull very soon is my gusss.
    For what purpose?

11. Member
    Garage size determines what size boat in some case,s but unless you fish tight docks a lot bigger is better as long as you can tow it.

12. Member
    thanks for the input guys! I am going with the z21

13. Member
    I do not think you will be disappointed! I am a converted “walleye guy” now running a Z21 after 13 years in a Ranger 620.
    Love my new Z21!

14. Member
    I've been thinking this question also. Can anyone tell me about the front compartment layouts? I'm thinking the large single compartment on the 20 would be much easier to access?

I like having them separated. I have rod lockers on both sides (port side is the primary). The two tackle compartments in the front hold 90% of my tackle. The compartment in front of them hold my seat posts, rain suits, PFDs, and a couple of odds and ends.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

The single large compartment on my z8 is very nifty for me, I leave it empty for my fishing buddies to use- they get the most out of it since they don't "move in" just ram all their gear in including coats...) this alsobleave my heavier gear in the rear that makes my boat rig level when I'm alone and faster in general.

If I get a z21 I will have to utilize the bow storage and leave a rear box for them

single large front allows my partners to use two milk crates for there tails boxes and leaves room on the side for misc. I also drop two milk crates holding 80 musky lures in the bow for chasing esox
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

17. Member
    It's about which boat is better for you. As a largie guy I like the Z20 because it drafts 2 inches less than the 21 and I fish some waters where that does make a difference. It's also a little easier in tight spots around the backsides of docks. If I were fishing deeper water for smallies, I would be in the 21 with a 52 inch shaft on whatever trolling mother I used. I also like having a single large compartment on the bow. I owned 2 Z9's and could never organize the 3 compartments the way I wanted to. Everyone has their reasons, but as a largemouth fisherman 85% of the time the Z20 works perfect for me.

18. Member
    Ok. I did it. I decided to go with the z21. I love it. Its a monster compared to my gambler.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21gambler View Post
    Ok. I did it. I decided to go with the z21. I love it. Its a monster compared to my gambler.
    Awesome...and congrats!!!! Any pics of the new ride?