200 Opti idle issue - Long winded

Purchased a new to me 2017 18trx with 200 opti (Sn\2B363124) which had 30 hours on it this May. Had no issues until mid Aug and the motor started having issues idling ie would stal out unless feathering the throttle, but once running WOT could feel no missing or any thing and still reach normal max RPM's of 5600, come off plane and it would run little rough but not to bad, fish for hour go to start motor up again and bad idle is back and rinse repeat all day every day.

Took it into a merc certified dealer (not where i purchased) and informed them of the issue and mentioned I had 4 years of warranty and needed it looked at - 10 days later got a call boat was ready and my bill was 650$ and fouled plugs was the issue and not covered under warranty. Bill was for 4 hrs labor and plugs - I asked if they touched bases with merc to see if it covered or possible underling cause , answer to both was no. I vocalized my disappointment for not hitting up merc on warranty so they called it in 5 days later and said for plug issues its first year or 100hrs ie sol for me. I contacted 3 random dealers stated the scenario and they all basically said a plug issue should have been found in under an hour then they would have contacted merc for support then updated me on to see how id like to move forward prior to sinking in more shop hours.

To further my frustrations i had it winterized (additional 130$) so I get it home from the 2hr drive and notice the half of the lower unit and back\bottom of the boat was covered in what i thought was oil, but after calling to ask wtf they said it was antifreeze and it should have been cleaned prior to pickup .. Also the rigging nylon braid that goes into the cowling was out about 3" so fray'd nylon was exposed and if I trim up more than 3/4 way the assembly binds on the boat causing alot of pressure on the inlet tube to cowling showing it wants to split open.

I contacted them with my list of discrepancies and there only answer is bring it back we'll fix it - I had already spent an hour degreasing the motor/boat so i could wash it and now will have to spend time to fix the rigging going into the motor. Taking it back to them would be a full day round trip plus gas $ and they didn't seem to care but they would send a boat detail kit if i gave them my address. To me this was the third strike on lack of attention to detail/QA since they had all of my billing/mailing info on record, needless to say im not getting a detail kit either ...

My question is does my experience seem normal and is there any different course of action I should pursue ?

Sorry for the long write up, just frustrated since Ive been running Mercs for almost 17years and never had an issue outside of a coil pack and my first motor with a waranty that doesnt cover issues.

2. Member
    I hate to say it but if you haven’t run the boat yet, you don’t even know if they actually fixed the idle issue. I wouldn’t take their word for it. Hard to believe you brought it in for what you thought should be warranty issues and they don’t call and tell you what they found until you pick it up, pretty bad customer service.

3. Member
    Sounds like i would be looking for a new mechanic...you got hosed..
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

Kind of a tacky thing to do is to take your warranty work to a different dealer than who you purchased it from. I don't mean this as insult to you it is just something that most consumers do not understand. Some shops will resent this and not provide optimum service. They should, but it does not always happen. I look at as a opportunity to win the customer over for future sales and service.
    Based on your side of the story I would be returning to whomever I made the purchase from for service work if at all possible. Does not sound good at all
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Yes this is definitely lesson learned ... I would have returned to dealer where i purchased but it is a 4 hr one way drive so was trying to save time and end up paying more in the long run - Wont happen again.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Brent- not sure what all was done there, but at 1.5 years from purchase date, the engine would have been due for an Annual Service (including items outlined here):

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines

Sounds like you should have a direct conversation with the dealer regarding your concerns- they are best equipped to address them for you. Unfortunately, we can't offer you much assistance on that.

When you've run the engine next year, be sure to report back on how it does. Make sure you're running recommended oil, fuel treatments, etc (also covered in the FAQ Section, above).

Just as an FYI, your engine had 3 Years Warranty, and two years (2) of Gold Product Protection (limited major-mechanical assemblies).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Don -

Thank you for the useful link and I will update in the spring on whether the issue was truly fixed.

I know when I purchased the boat this spring it had 30 hrs on it and the dealer performed a 50hr maintenance (not sure what that consisted of) so at this fall's work / winterization it only had 45hrs so they only stated adding fuel treatment, fogging oil and apparently an antifreeze bath - I will look over your list to see what all I can get knocked out myself.

Ty again.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpig View Post
    I know when I purchased the boat this spring it had 30 hrs on it and the dealer performed a 50hr maintenance (not sure what that consisted of) so at this fall's work / winterization it only had 45hrs so they only stated adding fuel treatment, fogging oil and apparently an antifreeze bath
    Oh boy.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax