Tempest 23p vs 24p

Running a 23p tempest on my mercury 150 Optimax now. Boat is a 2008 Procraft 186....like everything about the prop but wouldn’t mind having a little more top end.....current WOT is 61mph@ 5500rpm on gps with the right conditions....my goal is 65mph and thought a 24p might be the answer? Any thoughts?

2. Banned
    You will lose 200-300 rpms most likely, you may gain speed; but losing the rpms may hurt you too.

3. Member
    ProCraft are fairly heavy, not sure your going to see 65. 23 tempest and 24 tempest are 2 different props. They run different. I’ve found the 24s to have more stern lift than the 23.

4. Member
    Your never going to gain 4MPH by changing 1" of pitch. Prop the boat or the highest RPM that the motor manufacture allows....then go fishing.

I would send it to Mark Croxten http://marksprops.com/ and have him balance and blueprint the 23 Tempest. Make sure you give him good specific in depth details like, current wide open rpm with a heavy and light load, GPS speed heavy and light load, prop to pad height and current time of holeshot light and heavy. He can then process the information and will know if there is some tweaking that can be done to gain something. A basic balance and blueprint "typically" gains 1-3 mph and an adjustment/modification can also sometimes gain 1-2 mph. The more out of spec your prop is the more gain you will net. A badly worn prop can gain 3-4 mph but one that is in like new condition will typically gain less...now that is just a baseline statement because there is always exceptions. My first option for a speed gain would be balance and blueprint and give specs and see if he thinks a modification also needs to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I would send it to Mark Croxten http://marksprops.com/ and have him balance and blueprint the 23 Tempest. Make sure you give him good specific in depth details like, current wide open rpm with a heavy and light load, GPS speed heavy and light load, prop to pad height and current time of holeshot light and heavy. He can then process the information and will know if there is some tweaking that can be done to gain something. A basic balance and blueprint "typically" gains 1-3 mph and an adjustment/modification can also sometimes gain 1-2 mph. The more out of spec your prop is the more gain you will net. A badly worn prop can gain 3-4 mph but one that is in like new condition will typically gain less...now that is just a baseline statement because there is always exceptions. My first option for a speed gain would be balance and blueprint and give specs and see if he thinks a modification also needs to be made.
    Some great advice right there!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike