Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar

Question about max HP rating

I cant recall but I thought the Bullet HP says something to the effect of "any V6 outboard" which is saying unlimited HP...what about now that the new Merc 4S are V8? I have a V6 but will Bullet send out an actual Unlimited HP rating? I might be wrong about the wording but I swear I read "all V6 outboards"
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

2. Member
    I thought it says "unlimited" due to the fact that the Coast Guard does not require HP ratings on boats over 20 feet.

3. Banned
    My 2018 21XRS doesn't have a Coast Guard sticker in the boat... And if it does I can't remember seeing it... I'll check when I get home... Dan

4. Member
    The placards say "unlimited horsepower"
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

5. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    I just went out and looked...my boat doesn’t have a placard. Has a ratty sticker that’s peeling and it reads:

“This boat being over 20 feet long is not rated by the US Coast Guard or the manufacturer. This boat complies with US Coast Guard safety standards in effect on the date of certification. Bullet Boats Inc”

This clearly doesn’t say unlimited horsepower. Am I missing another rating plate? The decal is located below my shifter.

Most trails even those without a HP all say boat must not exceed the HP rating on the manufacturer plate. With the wording on the decal, it could potentially cause an issue if someone ever protested us. Has anyone ever asked Tom about getting a plate?
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

6. Banned
    Update... Checked mine when I got home yesterday and it does not have a USCG sticker anywhere... I guess since it's over 20"1' it doesn't need one... Dan

7. Member
    Any clarification on this sticker would be great, I thought it was a requirement to have on the boat. My XRS does not have one either.

8. Matt20xd
    My 95 20xd doesn't have a sticker.

9. Member
    My 01 20xd had a sticker that started exactly as above. About not being rated by the coast guard. Here in ohio I've had problems getting a inspection sticker from the coast guard a couple of times due to the fact it did not have the black and yellow coast guard tag. Finally a well knowledgeable watercraft officer told me that ruling went into effect in 1973 about the coast guard plate for boats under 20ft.they must have a capacity plate in them from the manufacturer. Boats over 20ft are only limited by the manufacturer and if the manufacturer did not install the black and yellow capacity plate then it was the responsibility of the owner to operate the vessel in a safe manner. No Matter what horsepower is installed. As far as tournament rules. If it's not rated by the manufacturer how can they say a 250 is not legal. I know most organizations do not allow 300hp yet. That they could enforce because they don't let anybody run them.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

10. Banned
    FLW must not have a problem since there are at least 4 guys who have run Bullet 21XRS's on the tour level events. I also remember where a guy got DQ'ed for not have a USCG sticker in a BFL event a few years back... But their rules do state all boats must have a placard attached to the boat by the manufacture stating maximum horsepower... Wonder how Andy and the boys got around it???... Dan

Since the USCG states that any boat over 20’ is unlimited HP, then why the need for a placard? That would be a given. “All” tourneys allow 20’ + boats in tourneys and they follow the USCG rules, so it’s really ignorant on there part for demanding placards on those boats. Another thing, If the pros want to place a max HP rating like “250” to make a more even playing field, then all should be 250 (as most times are). Same thing with clubs, I personally have never seen a club rule of no 300’s, but I’m sure there are some out there. What makes the difference? Say a guy has a 115 and another has a 225, is that different from a guy with a 200 going up against a 300. That last part is just a rant of mine.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

12. Member
    government regulations is my guess

The USCG is federal, although each state dictates there own rules

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

14. Member
    Federal regs? I think some of the boat manufacturers put a horsepower rating on their boats so people won't put too much on them and having problems and them blaming the boat manufacturers

15. BBC SPONSOR
    This is what they typically have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

16. Member
    Yep that's what mine had in it.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD