Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hydroturf Install on a 2003 ChampioN 206

Hey guys, been a while. I picked up a 206 hull pretty cheap and I'm restoring it for personal use. I have a 95 210 Procraft now that I restored and been using, I put Safefloor on it but not really a fan.

So I decided on Hydroturf. Got samples from Seadek but their sheets are/where going to be too small to do the front deck in one sheet.

I decided to go with the camo pattern to help break up the grain or ridges. I know its not for everyone but the camo helps hide the seams and the grain. The problem is Hydroturf only has a few colors in camp and this is the only one close to my boats color wheel. So before the "too much for me comments" there was a reason to chose this style. Plain colors will fade in the sun, Hydroturf puts this on their website. I liked the diamond pattern but it would be crazy to try and match both rod lockers the same.

I got the adhesive all ready on the back, and its really good. I cut a square and stuck it on a lid for a test, the only way it came off is in little chunks. Was a pain to get it back off the lid so it should hold up fine. Just make sure everything is super clean and wiped down with acetone before installing. I cut the corners just like carpet, but I did not wrap it around the lids.

I really like it so far, nothing has come up and its nice on the knees and feet. I also won't hold any water like carpet.

Sorry for the sideways pics, I just started using tinypic.com and for some reason it flips when I post pics from them. Anyone knows why help me out!

2. Member
    Very nice! Did you lay this on flat and then cut?

I used a clear piece of heavy visqueen, laid it over the front deck traced it on one the visqueen. Then I would cut out where I traced, made sure it would then fit and put it on the hydroturf and cut. I had a few places I had to trim but not too bad.

4. Member
    It is a bit loud, but I like it. You should make a hot foot for the trolling motor also.

5. Member
    Nice! The Champ looks to be in great shape. Good luck on the rest of your restoration.

Looks great !! If you didnt wrap the edges of the lids...did you cut strips to cover the edges.?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Like the product, a little eye busy but you should fine. Nice Job.

The pattern looks like one of those "Magic Eye" 3D pictures from the '80s.
    But I bet it hides any imperfections.
    Nice job on the install!

Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Nice! The Champ looks to be in great shape. Good luck on the rest of your restoration.
    No I wrapped it around the side just not all the way around, and it is in great shape. I already wet sanded it and buffed, but it wasn't bad at all.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    same stuff as cool foot uses?

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    same stuff as cool foot uses?
    Yes sir, exact stuff!

12. Member
    I've been thinking about doing this also, looks great! Couple questions though since you've done it. I was afraid by not doing the sides the gaps would look bad but they don't, but does it affect the way the lids open or close? What thickness is the turf? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tablerockslinger View Post
    I've been thinking about doing this also, looks great! Couple questions though since you've done it. I was afraid by not doing the sides the gaps would look bad but they don't, but does it affect the way the lids open or close? What thickness is the turf? Thanks
    It has some gaps in the back lids, not bad but you could defiantly lose a weight in between them. Lids open perfect, no issues with them closing or opening. I may use something to trim out the bottoms if the rattle, Champ only uses pull straps on the lids. I still might go back with a compression style lid latch to secure them better other then just a pull. We shall see once I get it back on the water.

14. Member
    I think I'll take the chance of losing a weight cuz I'm really liking that look! Glad to hear lids open good. I've got a Champ also, 98 203, but mine has gas shocks already and good latch so that'll help me. What thickness is the hydroturf? Thks

15. Member
    Guys if you use this stuff do yourself a favor and get it with the 3m backing. You can use contact cement, which is what i used when i did on my last jetboat. It looks great when going down, but the contact cement causes the hydroturf to swell, and become bigger dimensionally then when you cut it. After a few months, the hydroturf will begin to draw back to normal size, and will pull apart any seams. Other than that I loved it. I have a whole box of it with 3M backing for my new jetboat.

16. Member
    It looks neat. I am sure it is nice on the feet. The only thing that would drive me crazy if I dropped a worm hook on it, I would think you would go crazy trying to find it.

Sorry I never answered that, thickness is 6MM.

I think I'll take the chance of losing a weight cuz I'm really liking that look! Glad to hear lids open good. I've got a Champ also, 98 203, but mine has gas shocks already and good latch so that'll help me. What thickness is the hydroturf? Thks
    Yeah sorry, 6mm. And update today: Hauled the boat about 15 miles the get the floor Bullet Lined, all the back lids blew open/closed multiple times. Sounds like I'm gonna have to install compression latches to all the back lids to keep them from blowing open or locks. Front 3 lids never moved but I got the compression latches from my Procraft and might as well install on all latches in the Champ.

Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    Guys if you use this stuff do yourself a favor and get it with the 3m backing. You can use contact cement, which is what i used when i did on my last jetboat. It looks great when going down, but the contact cement causes the hydroturf to swell, and become bigger dimensionally then when you cut it. After a few months, the hydroturf will begin to draw back to normal size, and will pull apart any seams. Other than that I loved it. I have a whole box of it with 3M backing for my new jetboat.
    The 3m backing that comes with it is awesome! Spend the extra money and get the 3m backing, trust me the stuff they use is awesome. I did a test video and it would not come off! Impressive! But what if you have to redo a lid for some reason? It would be a nightmare trying to get it all off! Its that good, would have to use chemicals or a grinder to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    It looks neat. I am sure it is nice on the feet. The only thing that would drive me crazy if I dropped a worm hook on it, I would think you would go crazy trying to find it.
    I have a two tone blue Otter box on my iPhone. Sometimes it takes me a few to find the thing! "Someone call my phone!" So yeah your thought is right! I got to the bullet liner place and found 2 stainless screws on the deck! I swear I checked it over before I left!! Twice! But how well will it hide the dirt/traffic areas? Right now awesome, but what about in 3/4 years? The bay guys are getting 6/9 years in their boats outside 100% of the time....in the sun! We shouldn't put near the wear on it as those guys. I mean most hight dollar bass boats are either in a garage on under a custom cover when not in use. Most of us take care of our hard earned toys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast