Thread: Fishing Line

Fishing Line

What fishing line do you guys like for crappie fishing and what pound test do you use for what? It seems I've tried a bunch of different brands and styles over the years. Some of them I liked pretty well and some not so much. Right now I'm spooled up with Pline CXX 4# on a couple for casting jigs but I'm also trying Sufix 4# on one. I think I might like the Sufix better but I need more time with it.

I've got one jig pole spooled with Pline 6# and the other with Power Pro 10# braid. I tried braid for casting jigs but just didn't like the way it comes off the spool. It's good if you're casting something with a little weight but not so good for light jigs IMHO. I tried fluorocarbon years ago and didn't think it was all that so I haven't tried it again. I think I'll stick with mono and copolymers for most things. I cast long distance sitting back off brush and cover in clear water mostly so how the line handles is most important to me. What do you guys like?

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I use 8lb. on all my crappie reels and most are high vis. In the winter when the water gets close to freezing temps and very clear, I'll go to clear line but still 8lb.

Dale Sinclair original

3. Member
    I use power pro 5 lb test 1 lb diameter for vertical stuff and on occasion for casting. My go to casting line is Berkley Crystal in 4 and 6 lb test 1 lb diameter. These are tried and true for me but occasionally i will try other lines but haven't found anything better for my uses. These two lines while a bit pricey last forever. I have some PP on reels over 7 years old. I usually have to replace the Berkley every two years due mainly to breakoffs while casting.

4. Member
    Hmm. I didn't realize PP made a 5lb test. The smallest I had seen was 10. Might have to try it.

5. Member
    I use 4lb Izorline xxx on all my crappie rods. Have half spooled with golden green for off color water and clear on the rest. Great line for the money and stronger than most with same diameter.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Hmm. I didn't realize PP made a 5lb test. The smallest I had seen was 10. Might have to try it.
    They make a 3 lb test but it only comes in 100 yd spools, i have not tried it as it is the same diameter as the 5 lb.

http://www.powerpro.com/content/powe...-POWERPRO.html

7. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:52 AM.

8. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Bonehead for mono and braid. I do have some Mr. Crappie and BPS Crappie max as well though.

9. Member
    Crappie Maxx 4# works for me.

1/16 oz jigs and Road Runners.

10. Banned
    I always liked Mr Crappie camouflage in 6lb.

11. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Power Pro Slick 15 lb. for main line and Red Label fluorocarbon 12 lb. for leader.

I like the Power Pro because it allows me to shoot docks as well as fish vertical.

Bass to 9 lbs. and catfish to 30 lbs. on this combination.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

12. Member
    Been using 4# bass pro mono off of a bulk spool for years now. Drop shot Ill up it to 8# mono and also on the 1/4 & 3/8 footballs. Love the footballs in the fall
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 11-04-2018 at 05:29 PM.