Thread: Got me thinking

Got me thinking

I first want to say this is not a "mine is better than yours thread". I am ignorant when it comes to boat racing! I really enjoy watching most types of boat racing. Problem being I do not watch much TV. So what I have noticed over the last few years and I may have commented on here before is that I have noticed in the races where outboards are used it appears Mercury motors are strapped on the back of 95% of the boats. I know that Yamaha puts out a great product and a bunch of guys in the High Performance bass boat world are really getting some BIG numbers with them. I have read a lot about flashing and that stuff that will really produce significantly more H.P. I know several Stroker owners run the Yami's and they get great numbers top end. If a bass boat owner can get great numbers out of them you would think a racing team could do the same or better. So why the huge discrepancy in one over the other? And I do not think I have ever seen a E-rude or Johnson on the back of any race boat. I did read maybe on here that the E-tecs were used in some races maybe in England or over the big pond. Of course I do not watch ton of races just when I catch it on the tube. I would Love to go to a boat race.
    Last edited by BULLET FAN; 10-25-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

2. Member
    At the Jasper drag boat races the evinrude/Johnson v8’s are hard to beat. There isn’t many in the lineup but they sure are hard to get around.

3. Member
    Man I would really like to see a drag boat race. Watching on T V that looks insane. Curious Is the other drag boats at Jasper V/8's?

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET FAN View Post
    Man I would really like to see a drag boat race. Watching on T V that looks insane. Curious Is the other drag boats at Jasper V/8's?
    Once you experience a run of a pair of TFH boats in person you will be hooked! Search Lucas Oil drag boats for schedules and videos.

Mercury is the s#*t in outboard racing. Mercury actually HAS a racing division. None of the others have a l/u unit that will hold up. When you see a Yammi putting down big numbers on a stroker, bullet or allison, look at the l/u, more than likely, it's a mercury sportmaster.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLET FAN View Post
    The ones running Mercs are v6. When they use the Johnson v8 the boat has a higher minimum weight than the boats using a v6.

7. Member
    Using a V-8 over a V-6 could this be why the E-rudes are hard to handle on the drag boats?

8. Member
    I had a teacher at AMI, over 20 years ago, named Mike Phillips. He worked for OMC's Second Effort Racing in the 80s until they shut down in the early 90s. He drag raced a Daytona Eliminator with a Johnson V8. It had all the parts made by OMC and at one time I believe he had made the fastest quarter mile pass ever. I know he was hard for anyone to beat back then.

9. Member
    I don't get to see much of the drag boat racing. It is not on the tube as much.. As far as formula one racing those Mercs on the back of almost every boat.