Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

250 4 stroke throttle position

2B575487. 250 4S Pro xs. Am i able to tell at home whether or not I am getting full throttle out of my hot foot set up like you used to be able to tell with a 2 stroke?? Two reasons I ask; 1, I have yet to top 5700 rpm, and 2 my hot foot seems to have ALOT of peddle compared to my 2 stroke. (as side note before you guys go crazy on my set up, . Im turning a 24-3 Fury 75 mph at 5700 rpm) this is a Triton TRX 20 boat. Thanks

2. Member
    First question will be where are you getting the rpms from. A merc monitor is your best bet for true rpms, as guages are usually off.
    Last edited by Hookedup2; 10-25-2018 at 02:46 PM.

3. Member
    You MUST take to dealer and have them check throttle demand %. I know of 3 personally that were not getting 100%. I had to change to oldstyle, bottom fed hotfoot. Take to dealer and hook to pc!

5700 is within the WOT range. 75 is about as fast as your boat will run as well. The only way to check is via cds

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +2... Throttle setup is supposed to be checked on the CDS during the PDI, anyway.

That is the best (perhaps the only ACCURATE) way to determine throttle setup, and verify propping/setup is accetpable. *

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookedup2 View Post
    First question will be where are you getting the rpms from. A merc monitor is your best bet for true rpms, as guages are usually off.
    analog gauge

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +2... Throttle setup is supposed to be checked on the CDS during the PDI, anyway.

That is the best (perhaps the only ACCURATE) way to determine throttle setup, and verify propping/setup is accetpable. *
    Thanks Don and the rest of the gang on here!!! Making an apt with my dealer now!!

8. Banned
    Top mount Hot Foots require a slight modification in order to open the throttle 100%. Bottom feed works fine. TH is aware of this and making changes to the top mount.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post
    Top mount Hot Foots require a slight modification in order to open the throttle 100%. Bottom feed works fine. TH is aware of this and making changes to the top mount.
    Great info!! Thank you!! Whats the modification?

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironshores7 View Post
    Great info!! Thank you!! Whats the modification?
    Some slight grinding to allow full movement of the cable.

Can you show what had to be ground down?
    2016 Z520, 2018 250 Pro LPXS sn/ 2B590153, Helix 10s on bow and console, 360 bow and 112 Ultrex, 126sv and Livescope.
    Son inherited - 1997 462VS 150 Johnson Faststrike, 800 series birds, side image, 110 Fortrex

12. Member
    I’d like to see the modification too I have a top load hot foot as well

13. Banned
    I personally didn’t do the grinding and our customers have their boats.

14. Member
    Does anyone know where this grinding needs to be done at on the top mount hot foot? I'm have my 300R installed this week and would like to do the grinding before I get to the dealer.

15. Member
    This is the replacement TH sent me. Cut out is approx. 1” x 5/16”

Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    This is the replacement TH sent me. Cut out is approx. 1” x 5/16”

17. Member
    Wrong second pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Member
    Thank you , Old Hurst.

19. Member
    stupid question...how does cutting notch help it get more throttle? looks like just lets pedal come back more..I may be looking at it wrong..just repowered and I realized I have wrong hot foot..only year old...not buying another..may just go back and use hand throttle

but would consider making the cut if that's the deal.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It increases the total range of motion, which at the engine end of the cable, provides adequate travel to achieve 100% Demand Linear (100% Throttle Demand).

The new V6/V8 Fourstrokes require a bit more total range (idle to WOT) as compared to previous models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast