Some input please '90 Johnson 175 GT

So, I was able to play with the adjustments a little bit. Not sure if my tach is working, its new and set properly. With a 22 Raker at 3" P to P I can only turn 5000 at 54 mph gps. With a 23 solas 3" P to P I can only turn 4800 at 57 gps. This is fully loaded with 2 passengers weighing 460 lbs total. Anything higher P to P I can feel the props slipping and lose speed, hole shots are great, no issues there, but I cant spin this engine up past 5000 and only 4800 with a 23P?? It runs and sounds great. Water pressure is 4lbs at idle,2600 rpms 10 lbs, WOT is about 16 lbs. Any ideas?

This is on a 1996 Stratos 278.

Its a 1990 Johnson 175 GT
    Model VJ175SLESE

Thanks
    Eric

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can purchase a Tiny Tach and compare it to your in dash tach. The pole setting is 6.

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Watch the water pressure,,,,,,,stay close to 18 at WOT....

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Member
    Verify that your carbs are opening full. You might have that carb roller, sleevey, crackey, and fall offey disease.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 10-26-2018 at 05:00 AM.

5. Member
    Well I checked the butterflies yesterday and it appeared they were only opening to about 75 degrees. I adjusted it at the throttle arm and they are now at 90 degrees. So, maybe that was my problem? I didnt have any "carb rolle rsleevey, crackey issue" that I could see :)

Thanks
    Eric

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Here is what your throttle linkage should look like. No difference between the 150 and 175 throttle linkages.

7. Member
    Hmmmmmm, well there is a black sleeve on the roller, cant tell if something else is on your pic. Also, my marks dont line up like yours in the pic. Should the back small mark be on the roller? Mine is one the larger mark. Ill have to look but if i roll it back to the smaller mark, I dont think it opens my butterflies all the way (90 degrees)??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ebuck155; 11-01-2018 at 08:54 AM. Reason: add pic

8. Member
    Please get a real OMC service manual for your motor, you might be able to download one from the sticky at the top of the page. Your messing with the sync and link, which has to be spot on for this motor to run right.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 11-01-2018 at 09:30 AM.

9. Member
    Ok after further research, it appears I am missing part of the roller assembly. Wow, could that cause any damage since it threw off the setting on the throttle? Also, causing it not to get up to proper RPMs? I have one on order from Crowleys. Is there a temp fix until I receive it. Not going to be here for another 5-7 days

Thanks
    Eric

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes it appears that your clear sleeve is missing from the roller. Yes the roller should be touching the small embossed mark. In the old days the longer mark would have "Start" stamped on it to indicate where the carbs and timing should be set to. You can order a new one #0432639 for the roller, and 0324678 retaining ring. Or you can go to local hardware store and get a small piece of 3/8" clear vinyl tube to slip over the black roller. I would then perform a sync n link per the service manual.

11. Member
    Yeap, i agree jughead!!! That piece was missing when I bought it a few months ago, ugggggg. May explain a few things.

Eric

12. Member
    Ok Ive been looking through the manuals and I cant find 1 with my Mod #. VJ175SLESE. Will this one work?

1990 Johnson Evinrude "ES" Cross V 88 thru 115, 150 thru 175, P/N 507874

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yep that is the one you want the suffix E is just a production run Best $15.00 you'll ever spend.

14. Member
    Awesome thanks Championman, and everyone else!!!!!

Eric

15. Member
    You will need a timing light, to do the sync and link. I gave up on the OEM sleeve, I've just run the vinyl tube fix for the last 6 or 7 years.

16. Member
    Update.. went with the 3/8" hose, set the throttle arm as manual says, didnt syn n link yet, throttle blades now open to 90 degrees and took it out. Runs great, course it always has. I picked up 200 more rpms, to 5000 rpm with the 23 P and got it to 58.3 mph gps, so heading in the right direction. thanks again for everyone's help.

Eric