Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Crappie Fishing secrets

This guy is a guide on a local lake here (Grand). I do not know him but know of him. He post a lot of videos on youtube. Whats your thoughts on his "secrets"? He definitely puts a lot of crappie in the boat!

2. Member
    Meh. I agree with some of his thoughts but he forgot the most important thing. Put in time on the water and learn the waterway you are fishing. That's the biggest key. Try to learn something new every time you hit the water or find a new spot that is holding fish or may hold them in the future. Guess that's not really a "secret" but his tips really aren't either LOL.

3. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I watched the video that you posted and the next one of his. I'm just the opposite of his thinking on down sizing baits in the fall. I switch from the regular size Mid-South and Southern Pro tubes to the bigger umbrella tubes or the pro series tubes along with 3 inch walleye tubes. I keep the same size jig, 3/32 year round. Good info in both videos.

Dale Sinclair original

4. Member
    It's really cool how different our approaches are sometimes. Yesterday alone I fished 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4oz jig heads. I casted the 1/16, and 1/8 and fished the 1/4 vertical in deep water. I also used a Road Runner head a little bit. I was on a spot holding a lot of fish and I was experimenting a little with styles and colors just to see how they would react but I almost always have 1/8 and 1/16 both tied so I can switch between depending on what fall rate I want and how the wind is.

5. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    It's really cool how different our approaches are sometimes. Yesterday alone I fished 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4oz jig heads. I casted the 1/16, and 1/8 and fished the 1/4 vertical in deep water. I also used a Road Runner head a little bit. I was on a spot holding a lot of fish and I was experimenting a little with styles and colors just to see how they would react but I almost always have 1/8 and 1/16 both tied so I can switch between depending on what fall rate I want and how the wind is.
    I've always been amazed at all the different ways crappie are caught on the same body of water and on the same day. There is always something to be learned if one pays attention and keeps an open mind. I suffer as I'm a bit hard headed..

Dale Sinclair original

6. Member
    Yup, I'm 45 years old and been fishing for them since I was just a little kid, knee high to my dad and I'm still learning....or maybe I'm just reremembering, oh hell I don't know, I've forgotten.