Thread: Xpress X17

Xpress X17

I am considering a 2012 Xpress X17 / 90 HP Yamaha 4 stroke and wanted your thoughts on a few things. I have never owned an Xpress boat so I was wondering how the 17 ft boat will handle and if there are any porpoising issues with this particular boat and motor combo. I want a 24v ft trolling motor, recessed pedal tray for the trolling motor and a jack plate, just not sure of which size to get. I have looked at all different sizes but this size boat and motor will suit my needs. Thanks for any feedback that you can give me on this.

2. Member

Re: Xpress X17 (c g p)

also been looking at this model, I would opt for the 115 4 stroke yamaha, without seeing one in person interested in the interior storage, like rod lockers and lenght and number of rods they will hold. Livewell size. Ordered the xpress brochure, not sure it will have any different info than the website though. Be interesting to hear from an actual owner.

I would max out the hp, run a 6" jp, and 80# fortrex, surely they have fixed the porpoising issues by now, I think the x17 comes stand with recessed trolling motor, I think the livewells are 22 or 24 gallon, only thing that pisses me off about xpress is they put the livewell lids on backwards, hard as hell when your trying to cull fish

4. Banned

I had a X17, i had 90 Merc and it was perfect for the boat. no doubt with gas prices a 4 stroke is a must, because these engines tend to be heavier i might look at a 115. 80lb TM is more than enough, i had a 24v 67lb and it was enough. Mine did porpoise alittle but was easily corrected. great all around little boat but do agree with the livewell lids, but thats what you get when you dont put any kind of lock on them you have to turn them around. Good luck..

5. Member

Re: Xpress X17 (FEARTHETURTLE210)

Thanks for all of the replies. I agree that you typically should max out the horsepower on a boat but considering how much these motors weigh, I wasn't sure what affect it would have on the boat. I am still in the research stage of this and I am looking at a lot of different brands but I reallly like the xpress boats.

6. Member

If you can go with the 115 that is what i have on mine love the four stroke. The 70# Minn Kota trolling motor pulls the boat around fine and is a must have when its gets windy. Do not have any porposising problems at all. I think the recessed tray can be got with the boat now i believe. and is the only way to go i installed my own and love it. using rod socks i have 7 rods in one of the rod boxes and 2 of them are 7' 3'' long and they fit just fine. any more questions just let me know

Paul Lemieux - Brookhaven Ms.
    07 X17 Xpress / 115 Yamaha

7. Member
    I am looking to buy my first aluminum bass boat and have looked at Trackers , Triton's and Lowe Stingers. I narrowed it down to a 17' Lowe Stinger w/ 90hp Evenrude E-tec mainly because the Stinger is rated for a 90hp unlike 60hp max on the Tracker and Triton. Now finding the Xpress X17 with the option of a 115hp motor sounds much better. I live in California and can not find a Xpress dealer.Any recommendations and a for motor is it preference more than anything else.Would a 2 stroke be faster than a four ( top speed & getting up on plane??) weight differance .With the 115hp on a 17' tin boat is there any handling issues? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks all. Dan

I've kinda been wondering myself, how fast an X17 with a 115 proxs and 6" plate would be. I bet that would make a fun little ride.

I'm working on getting a similar setup -- H18, 90 hp, 6" jp, 80# MK, recess tray, etc.
    The local lake has a 90 hp limit, which is why I'm stopping there instead of maxing the motor size.
    I've also got storage limits as far as size, so the 18' is as big as I can go.
    If you drag your feet long enough (maybe another 4-6 weeks), I should be able to weigh in with specifics.
    Until then, talk w/ your local dealer.
    They've probably set up enough boats to give you a good perspective on everything.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.

10. Member
    I have an h56 18 foot boat with 115. Full gas tank and livewell by my self I'm getting 62.3 add another person and I'm running 57.8 plenty fast for me

11. Member
    I have a h18 with an evinrude 115 with me and my load I can get 53gps max. with a partner I see 49 50gps. not a speed demon but does the job and has a good holeshot

12. Member
    What prop are yall running. I have an 18ft with 115hp yami and get only 43mph. I have a friend has same boat and gets same mph

Quote Originally Posted by KARNIE View Post
    I have an h56 18 foot boat with 115. Full gas tank and livewell by my self I'm getting 62.3 add another person and I'm running 57.8 plenty fast for me
    GPS?????

14. Member
    I have an H56TS. I think its 18' 5". It has a 115 yamaha 4 stroke with a 6" plate and I've adjusted up and down, tried several props 3 blade and 4 blades and the best all around is with a 21 pitch yamaha prop. By myself I can almost bump the rev limiter and run in the low 50's with another person it maxes out around 5900 rpm's and running 49 to 50.
    It doesnt feel underpowered at all but I do wish it had a 150 on it.

15. Fishing the Big O xpress-way's Avatar
    my h18 115 6'' jp loaded 47 48 mph 22''laser two by murcury 50 52 light one person

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankermike View Post
    GPS?????
    Yes my speeds are GPS. I run a yamaha pro series 23 p 5700 rpm by my self. Prop has been worked and have replaced reeds and jets on my motor. 2 stroke pro v 115

17. Member
    63Mph with the 115? I’d have to see it in person !

18. Member
    I have an H17 with 90 hp 4 stroke Yamaha which is max for this hull. In 2012 H17 was rated at 115 hp. Would have bought a 115 if rated for it and only about 17 # difference in weight from a 90 four stroke.

Mine is not as wide as a X17 but is a nice boat. Hull weight for the H17 is listed at 951# same as a X17. This cannot be correct. X17 is wider and shows .125 thickness hull and H17 has a .100 hull.

I think you would love a 115 SHO but a 90 SHO should give adequate performance. I have a 6" Vance jack plate on mine and think your steering cable may be short for a larger jack plate.

I installed a recessed tray for the foot control on my MK Edge 70# and really like it.

You will enjoy the extra beam of the X17.

I have found some porpoising at certain speeds and trim levels. I can avoid it by not trimming to high until I get to about 3/4 throttle. After that I get on the pad really well and at full throttle can use full trim without porpoising.

It is a fun little boat.