Ranger Saltwater/Aluminum Trailers on other boats?

Anyone out there using one of the Ranger saltwater/aluminum trailers for a bass or multi-species boats in a non-saltwater application?

Aside from how the trailers look (not everyone loves that look!) , are these trailers a reasonable option for guys looking to avoid the fender, rust, corrosion, etc etc related issues? Would these trailers have a significantly longer service life in the northern climates? Seems like it might be advantageous in places with winter fishing and lots of road grime/salt.

Is this a crazy idea? Thoughts?

2. Joe4d
    I wouldnt consider any steel painted or Linx coated trailer for ANY boat application anywhere. Aluminum is the way to go, still will have a few parts that will need attention, but way less hassle and will last much longer with minimal upkeep. Its also a pretty small upgrade price compared to rest of package. Even galvanized steel would be better than these coated ones.

3. Member
    Yes, if you can afford it.

AL trailer with Kodiak Stainless Steel Brakes and pads. Kodiak are expensive but if you dont want rust then SS is the only way to go.
    Only other thing I would change are the bunk brackets. Small L brackets that bolt the bunks to the risers/stands. The stands are AL, but the brackets are galvanized. Recommend Replacing the galv L brackets with thick AL. Mine are beginning to rust and are only 12 years old.

There is a steel bracket painted black which hold the fenders on. I would change that also to AL.

Finally change the fender rivots to through bolts.

Trailer will outlive the boat.

I live in the Northeast and my steel Ranger trailer with fiberglass fenders is 31 years old and still in good shape, still have original bunk boards and carpet. Keep it clean and no bare metal and it will be fine. I do like to spray WD-40 on anything that's metal at the end of the season.

5. Member

Ranger Saltwater/Aluinum Trailer on other boat?

I have a 2012 Ranger aluminum trailer and have used it saltwater for six years and happy with the condition of it today. My first Ranger had Ranger Trailer and it had rust in serveral areas and all the brackets needed replaced with Ranger send to be free of charge, even though it was out of warranty. Most of my boating is done in Northeast Ohio. I bought it when I purchase by 2012 Ranger 1850. The dealer swapped it out for a $400 charge.
    Last edited by coach76; 10-24-2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Notice some rust speckles on my left fender, (nothing on the right fender) and a couple of my lug nuts are showing rust. I bought the boat in Feb. of '19. Rinse after every use after dunking in saltwater.
    Guess I will be notifying Ranger.

7. mikesxpress
    If it carbon steel it's going to rust. Not if, but when.
    I would never own another boat with a steel trailer.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 09-15-2019 at 07:07 AM.

I have an Aluminum Trailer and it has the chrome fenders. Fishing everything from salt to fresh water. Bought a RT 198P that did not have carpet and had the Aluminum Trailer because of the saltwater exposure.