Thread: Tire pressure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Tire pressure

The Mastercraft trailer tires on my Puma say max pressure is 44psi (if I read them properly). I assume that is warmed up and running. What pressure would you want while it is sitting in the garage?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Tire pressure is measured at whatever the temperature is before you start. It will rise when running, but that is taken into consideration with the label. Assuming no leaks, you'll need to add a little in the fall and let a little out in the spring to keep them at 44psi.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Tire pressure is measured at whatever the temperature is before you start. It will rise when running, but that is taken into consideration with the label. Assuming no leaks, you'll need to add a little in the fall and let a little out in the spring to keep them at 44psi.
    Does 44 sound correct? It really difficult to read on the tire.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Could be. I don't think Mastercraft even makes a specific tire for trailers, but load rating is the only thing to worry about.
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Does 44 sound correct? It really difficult to read on the tire.
    You are correct. My Mastercraft Avengers on my P2 tandem read 44 max.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    All original tires on BassCat trailers are 44 psi. I've heard the moderator say that before. Excellent tip regarding adding in the fall and removing in the Spring. My problem is I never really know the exact time to do so until I notice a visible difference in tire pressure.

Last edited by Louie; 10-25-2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: .
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Usually the max inflation on any tire is listed there for seating the beads when installed. Do not run over the max inflation on any vehicle or trailer unless its stated by the manufacturer of the vehicle. I would set those tires on that around 37-38 psi cold. That will give you 2-3 psi increase when they heat up and you'll still below the max inflation mark.
    No, max inflation pressure is not the pressure for seating beads and you don’t need to worry about pressure increasing over 44 while running. The increase while running is accounted for in specifying the cold pressure. They should be run at 44PSI cold to give the maximum load capacity.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    "They should be run at 44PSI cold to give the maximum load capacity."

My thoughts exactly, since I don't know the load capacity at lower pressures.

10. Member
    Lower pressure will also allow more heat buildup. Always run 44PSI to get the best performance.

11. Member
    Run what the tire calls for cold period same goes for any trailer tire.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

12. Member
    44 psi is the max cold pressure. Does not sound like this is a trailer tire. Could be an xtra load passenger tire. Even most load range c trailer tires will have a max of 50 psi.

13. Member
    Sorry but you are wrong. Max pressure is not for seating beads it is the operating pressure.

Usually the max inflation on any tire is listed there for seating the beads when installed. Do not run over the max inflation on any vehicle or trailer unless its stated by the manufacturer of the vehicle. I would set those tires on that around 37-38 psi cold. That will give you 2-3 psi increase when they heat up and you'll still below the max inflation mark. It will also probably give you more even wear IMO

Last edited by Louie; 10-25-2018 at 07:11 AM.

16. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Well please correct me then. I don't see where you stated anything to back up what you said. And my reply clearly says IMO- in my opinion. I didn't state any hard listed facts. If a tire has a giant paragraph written on the side that states to not exceed a certain pressure for whatever reason when seating beads, and then has a separate label saying "max inflation" I would recommend doing what ever the tire says on it. And IMO I would run slightly less pressure by 2-3 psi to allow for heat expansion.
    The max pressure on the side already allows for heat expansion. Lowering the pressure below this reduces load carrying capacity and maximum speed of the tire and increases heating in the tire. Lowering the pressure is the last thing you want to do with a trailer tire.

None of this has anything to do with seating beads.

This is all basic tire information widely available from all manufacturers.
    nothing else matters.​

17. Joe4d
    all the tires I have looked at spell it out,, as in Max pressure COLD,,
    Maybe go online and look up the how to read date of manufacturer on a tire. You may have some old tires that are due to be replaced.
    Trailer tires tend to seperate or blow before the tread wears out, so you cant really judge them by looks. Dont know about boats but in the horse world 5-6 years is probably about it. Be doing same for my boat now that I know better. I didnt back in the day,, think I ran a set 10 years or so till the sidewalls started cracking.

18. Member
    I hav eNEVER had a tire issue with my 2009 BCB trailer and run dual axles both at 44lbs. Was told to run them at this when I bought the boat new. (Thanks Shef!)

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    all the tires I have looked at spell it out,, as in Max pressure COLD,,
    Maybe go online and look up the how to read date of manufacturer on a tire. You may have some old tires that are due to be replaced.
    Trailer tires tend to seperate or blow before the tread wears out, so you cant really judge them by looks. Dont know about boats but in the horse world 5-6 years is probably about it. Be doing same for my boat now that I know better. I didnt back in the day,, think I ran a set 10 years or so till the sidewalls started cracking.
    Date code is the last 4 digits of the dot # first two refer to the week and last two the year in which they were constructed. Shelf life by tire rack is generally 5 years in a temperature controlled facility. 10 years old isn't a big deal on cars or trailers stored in a garage, but the sun and big temperature swings will deteriorate a tire fast. Max cold pressure on my actual trailer tires (single axle) is 50psi and a long haul can increase them ~4psi which is taken into account, but keep in mind the rule of them is every 10* in temperature swing is 1psi. So if you start out on a 50* morning with 47psi cold then in the afternoon when it's 80* you're at 50psi which is the max cold rating.

20. Member
    You can find the load carrying ability of most any tire by going to the manufacturer's web page. They publish a chart in something like 2 psi increments showing the load that specific tire can carry at that specific pressure. If you want to do it right, weigh your rig, hooked up to your truck, and get the trailer tires on a section of the CAT scales by themselves. Make a note of that weight (which will be slightly less than total weight since the hitch is carrying maybe 10% - but you ignore this.) Take that weight, divide by the number of tires (2 or 4), then add maybe 10% to allow for heavier loads on the days you pack the ice chests full, fill the fuel tanks, and load the tackle store into the boat. Look up that weight in the chart to determine the PSI the manufacturer recommends. That will give you the best tread life and ride quality. We have to do this same thing on RVs and big trucks.

And always check the tire pressures when the tires have not moved in several hours. My RV will see a 10psi rise in pressure after a hundred miles or so on the highway. The manufacturers consider this in their calculations. Doing it right means checking regularly since the "cold temp" is not constant from day to day.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast