Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hummingbird wiring from factory

Can anyone tell me how the phoenix factory runs the power wire from the console unit back to the battery? Do they normally run direct to the battery?

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HLG View Post
    Can anyone tell me how the phoenix factory runs the power wire from the console unit back to the battery? Do they normally run direct to the battery?
    depends on what boat you have and what year, either way no it wont be ran to the battery direct, there will be a set of wires built into the harness for the bow and console to run one unit each, the 2016 and up 9 series and PHX will have the integrated wiring system with 8 and 10 agw wire going to a fuse block in the locker near the console. the 2 factory installed units will still be wired to the harness
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    Ok, its a 2018 20PHX. I'm having problems with my console unit, Helix 12. Hummingbird suggests running direct to the battery, so before i go about this i was trying to learn how the wires will currently be ran.

4. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HLG View Post
    Ok, its a 2018 20PHX. I'm having problems with my console unit, Helix 12. Hummingbird suggests running direct to the battery, so before i go about this i was trying to learn how the wires will currently be ran.
    is the fuse box in the locker in front of your day box? one side of that fuse box goes directly to the main battery switch and is more than capable of handling the amperage for that unit
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Really happy with my 2018 920 wiring system for my solix units
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

6. Member
    Yes the fuse box is in the locker in front of the day box. Im having a strange problem that hummingbird doesnt even know what wrong or really how to trroubleshoot it. They just kinda of are giving me suggestions to try. The unit works fine while idlying and fishing, but basically when i gas it hard to get the boat on plane it will shut off immediately. If i slowly gas it and get on plane and stay low RPM's, it will work, but as soon as i start giving it more, usually around 3500 RPM's it will shut off.

7. Member
    To add also, i switched my console unit with my bow unit to see if it was possibly the unit and it did the same thing. So it has to be a wiring issue.

8. Member
    Check the wiring for a bad or lose connection.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

9. Member
    Check the fuse and wiring to the unit. Sounds like that's where the problem is

10. Member
    Take it to your dealer, should be under warranty.

11. Member
    So finally got time to trace wires, fuses, connections, etc. Everything looked pretty good, one somewhat lose connection on the fuse box in the front rod locker, and battery terminals needed a little cleaning. Got all that fixed up and toook it out on the water to test. First initial run it shut off again immediately after gassing it to get on plane. second, third and fourth run it stayed on the whole time but i never really got the boat up to fast speed. I was thinking i had fixed the problem so turned around to head home as it was getting dark. And on my final run i was really letting her air out, and when i finally topped about top speed the unit shut off again. Gave it one more good run just to double test it and same thing happened. It would stay on until almost completely WOT and then shut off.

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    so where do the Hot and Ground from the unit connect? did they go to the fuse box?
    info@drewcraft.com

13. Member
    They were spliced with another wire that ran to the Power switch right next to the key, and another one that ran to the fuse box.

14. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I would change that and make sure both are going to the fuse box with 12 awg, also put the voltage on your screen so you can see what it is reading at higher RPMs before it shuts off
    info@drewcraft.com

15. Member
    That was gonna be my next move to change that. And i have been having the voltage on the screen while im running. It is usually around 13.5 when it shuts off.

16. Bob G's pool boy
    Does the unit power right back up if you go to it right away?

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

17. Member
    Depends, originally when i first started having this problem, no it would not power back up if i continued on plane. Shut the boat down to idle and i could power it back up. Now i can power it back up while running once it shuts off as long as i keep it below Top RPM's. But once i reach top speed it'll shut off again. And that is me turning it back on, not the unit powering back up by itself after shutting off.

18. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I know you said you switched the unit with the bow, so question is, do both units shut down at the bow and console?
    info@drewcraft.com

19. Member
    Well i never tried the console unit up on the bow, but the bow unit has worked just fine through all of this. But both units shut down when used at the console.

20. Member
    On my old boat this summer I swapped the bow and console units. Turns out the console wiring had a connector that was coming apart and at speed it would lose connection and the unit would turn off and back on. After a couple days it would then turn off and not come back on. The connector had come apart.

Are you running smooth water or a few or lots of waves?
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast