Thread: bad starter?

bad starter?

2006 115 optimax sn/1B434018
    My starter engages my flywheel but will not turn over. Batteries are fully charged. starter whines.
    Thoughts?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Load test battery (a battery can be fully charged but BAD).

With key OFF, Lanyard OFF- can you turn the flywheel by hand, or with a socket on the flywheel nut?

If not- something has seized (engine or gearcase).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for the response.
    Yes I can turn the flywheel by hand. One of the batteries is only a couple months old.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Still load test- and make sure connections are clean, ENGINE cables first, remaining lugs largest to smallest, finish connection with a stainless LOCK NUT (do NOT use wing nuts).

Even a "new" battery may not be a "good" battery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Load test was fine. I do find that with the bendix pinion gear engaged with the flywheel that there it is binding/ poor indexing when I turn by hand.

6. Member
    Also with the gear removed the starter shaft spins like a top.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sounds like it's time to replace the starter assembly.

8. Member
    That is where I figured this was headed from jump.
    I thank you for your time with this. I assume you would recomend OEM. Can you recomend a supplier? I would like to spend my money with one of your guys.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Any of the BBC Sponsors that are Mercury Dealers- if you drop Rhonda an email, she can set you up:

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...

10. Member
    Already done