Problems with Flow Rite Remote drain plug install on RT188

Purchased the Flow Rite remote drain plug to install on my Ranger RT188.. After removing the stock drain plug I noticed an aluminum horizontal piece 1-2 inches behind the drain hole. This prevents the remote drain plug cable from being horizontal to work properly so I paused the install. Has anyone else seen this and how did you overcome this obstacle to install the remote drain plug? Thanks for any input and advice.
    2016 Ranger RT188
    115 Yamaha SHO

"Well done is better than well said"- Benjamin Franklin

2. Member
    I put the remote drain plug in my RT188 2 years ago. I love it, no more getting on your knees. You have to remove the batteries and cut a very small piece from the brace that's impeding the install.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLMitchell19 View Post
    Purchased the Flow Rite remote drain plug to install on my Ranger RT188.. After removing the stock drain plug I noticed an aluminum horizontal piece 1-2 inches behind the drain hole. This prevents the remote drain plug cable from being horizontal to work properly so I paused the install. Has anyone else seen this and how did you overcome this obstacle to install the remote drain plug? Thanks for any input and advice.
    Sorry to bump an old thread like this but I was trying to prevent creating a new one. I have a 2019 RT188 and there is a transom support C channel type brace blocking the drain plug. I wanted to see if this was the same issue as you in addition to the horizontal piece or if anyone reading this also cancelled the install of this remote drain plug because of this transom support being inline with the drain plug which prevents the drainplug cable from being installed.

Thanks in advance.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

I just drilled a hole big enough to snake the wire through. Did that almost a year ago and have not have any issues. I do put a small film of Silicon Grease around the plug to help the O-ring seat.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I just drilled a hole big enough to snake the wire through. Did that almost a year ago and have not have any issues. I do put a small film of Silicon Grease around the plug to help the O-ring seat.

Thank you for the reply Bob! I plan to do the same then. Did you have to address the horizontal piece of aluminum which sits in front of the plug hole as well? Its the piece our stock plugs seems to run into when tightening the plugs down.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

Honestly, I don't recall any additional issues other than the support channel. I have a 2019 RT198, but I do not know if there would be any difference on the RT188.
    I mounted the Switch Panel to my Splash Well, so it is easy to see the position of the plug /switch. I am really glad I installed the remote plug!
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Honestly, I don't recall any additional issues other than the support channel. I have a 2019 RT198, but I do not know if there would be any difference on the RT188.
    I mounted the Switch Panel to my Splash Well, so it is easy to see the position of the plug /switch. I am really glad I installed the remote plug!
    Thanks again for the information I cant wait to get it done myself.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

8. Member
    So I got the flow rite remote drain plug installed. I had to cut the transom support c-channel bar in front of the drain plug as well as the smaller c-channel support bar that is right in front of the drainplug which everyone runs into when trying to tighten their stock screw type drain plugs which end up getting crossed threaded and not tightened enough. I took this pic before I did a solid vacuum and cleanup. After this pic the actual install of the drainplug was a breeze. From my perspective this mod is useful not only for this plug but also for any plug since now I can see the drainplug from this side for leaks and the drainplug has room to be screwed in fully if I did run a regular drainplug again as well. Please note I did not cut flush to the sides to retain structure\strength. To do this I used a drill to create holes for my sawzaw and it did the rest. I used a small sawzaw to cut slits into the smaller C-channel in front of the drain plug and then tapped it down with a hammer. This job to about 15 minutes to cut everything so it was easy with the right tools.

IMG_9739.JPG
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

Glad you got it installed.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

10. Member
    The Thriving Metropolis of Huntsville, Alabama
    Considering installing a Flow-Rite remote drain on my RT188. I have some questions regarding installation: Does the new plug fit into the exiting opening? Going to drill a hole as Bob suggested (excellent idea). I like the idea of mounting 'switch' in the splash well but the one thing that concerns me is it is available for anyone to open (I normally leave the boat at a public dock). It looks like the battery compartment offers piece of mind...

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by papafrancisco View Post
    Considering installing a Flow-Rite remote drain on my RT188. I have some questions regarding installation: Does the new plug fit into the exiting opening? Going to drill a hole as Bob suggested (excellent idea). I like the idea of mounting 'switch' in the splash well but the one thing that concerns me is it is available for anyone to open (I normally leave the boat at a public dock). It looks like the battery compartment offers piece of mind...
    Yes it uses the existing holes. Please note I was unable to do a hole like Bob did and also cut slits in the c-channel in front of the drain plug. I attribute this to maybe not having the tools he did to cut the slits and tap down the c-channel in front of the drainplug so I went ahead and made my hole bigger to gain access from the battery box.

Good luck on the install its easy enough and I do like my drain switch being next to my master power switch so I dont forget about it within the battery box. The 10' cable for the remote switch is to long. The 6' would have been fine although I made the 10' work. I originally intended to put it at the console.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

12. Member
    Thank you Surferboy for the feedback. I like your logic of locating the actuator by the main circuit breaker.

13. Member
    I have been considering this for a few months now. I'm not too keen on cutting a hole in the brace for the transom. Has anyone tried to trim the center stringer from the back? Maybe use a small reciprocating air saw to reach through the hole? Or use an angled die grinder from the front?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qu...der-52848.html

ranger transom.JPG

https://www.harborfreight.com/profes...saw-64678.html
    2020 Ranger RT178C
    Bow: Garmin 93sv uhd & livescope
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Console: Garmin 73sv uhd
    Cumberland Crappie spider rig

14. Member
    Look at Post #5 above...

15. Member
    The only issue with post #5 is Bob has an RT198 not the 188 and I believe he was not impacted by the support bar like we with RT188s were. I will say that drilling a hole to gain access to run the cable through is super easy and I am not worried at all about my larger hole and I enjoy the ability to eyeball the drain area and access it since most things end up that way at some point. The install was very easy to do and I am very glad to have it.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
    The only issue with post #5 is Bob has an RT198 not the 188 and I believe he was not impacted by the support bar like we with RT188s were. I will say that drilling a hole to gain access to run the cable through is super easy and I am not worried at all about my larger hole and I enjoy the ability to eyeball the drain area and access it since most things end up that way at some point. The install was very easy to do and I am very glad to have it.
    The horizontal piece (stringer) is what i was referring to. If i removed the factory plug do you think i could notch the horizontal piece through the 1" hole with one of those small reciprocating saws? I really dont want to cut a large hole in the transom support (vertical piece) to gain access.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jm_middleton07 View Post
    The horizontal piece (stringer) is what i was referring to. If i removed the factory plug do you think i could notch the horizontal piece through the 1" hole with one of those small reciprocating saws? I really dont want to cut a large hole in the transom support (vertical piece) to gain access.
    Getting the angle and distance on the stringer from the hole would be the challenge. I would just say take a look at it. It only takes a few minutes to pop the stock drain plug off. Anything is possible with the right tools. Sorry I dont have a definitive answer for you.
    2019 Ranger RT188
    Thomas Martin