Wacky rig guys help me out

I've gotten into this technique lately and love it. I have a few questions about my setup. I use a 12lb flouro leader and a 3/0 circle hook. I also use the oring but I'm on and off on the counterweight at the end.
    Should you use the weight all the time?
    When using Oring and/or weight, where do you want the oring to be? In the middle of the senko or closer to head or tail? Thank you in advance.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

2. Joe4d
    dont over think and dont worry about the extra doodads. Been catching fish for 40 years on a weightless texas rigged worm.. White, hot pink, blue with red tail,,, Just texas rig it,,, no weight.

3. Member
    Try it different ways each trip. Sometimes they want it neko and sometimes they want it weightless. The fish will let you know what they want each trip

I fish Wacky with trick worms and Gamakatsu weedless finesse hooks. I prefer that over Sinkos because they flex and undulate in the water better. No weighs usually but occasionally a small split shot if I want it to fall more quickly. Never an end nail weight, seems to defeat the purpose to me. For me, Wacky is a spot cover tool. I will use it interchangeably while covering water with a Texas rig or Jika rig. It lets me target water column as well as bottom around specific cover. Edges of pads or grass, openings in vegetation, target stumps. etc. I will put the Texas rig down and let a Wacky worm fall slowly around such key cover items.

5. Member
    If you put weight in the head it's a neko rig. Pretty cool alternative to a shakey head and has a unique fall. I prefer wacky jig heads for wacky rig

6. Member
    My wacky setup....close target fishing (cypress trees, under bushes, etc) I use an old discontinued Shimano 5'9" MH spinning rod, perfect for close range roll casting. It's a Speedmaster Fighting rod, old timers would know what it is. And for the record, if anyone has one sitting in a garage, pm me, I'm interested.

Longer distance/open water, I use a 7' M action Duckett.

Reel size, 2000-3000 sized spinning reels.

Line, 20lb yellow braid for visibility. I color the last 6'-7' with a black marker, no leader. I don't fish gin clear water, it works for me. I think people get scared of the fish seeing the line, I'm not sold that it matters in most situations.

Hooks...I like weedless hooks. I've used several models of weedless wacky hooks, they all work. However, I've started using a 1/0 VMC weedless Neko hook, it's been a good hook for me. Great hookup percentage, it's strong, and it seems like they're hooked better.

I never use an o ring. I used to just hook the worm in the middle, now I'm using small pieces of shrink tube around the worm, hook through that. Saves on worms.

Thanks for all the feedback

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash