Tie Eye Direction on Swim Jigs

I currently have the Trokar swim jig mold with the forward facing tie point. And now I am considering the weedless casting jig mold SMJ-3-MF with the inline tie point. Was wondering what is the advantages / disadvantages of a forward eye vs a inline wire tie point.
    When making a vibrating jig is one eye configuration better than another. IS one mold more versatile than the other. Very new to the pouring and jig making deal. Made some swing jigs and caught fish on them very gratifying to catch fish on your own creation.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

2. Green Fish Bait Brewery
    I drilled out the hook eye location on the T mold and filled with high heat silicone material. I can use both types of hook in the mold. One to attach via a split ring and the other I either opened the hook eye or used the figure 8 to attach to the blade.
    Ron
    Green Fish Bait Brewery (FB)
    Veteran

3. Member
    For a swim jig, you would want a 30,45, or 60 degree hook so the jig will slide over obstructions. Weather flat eye or vertical hook eye wont matter.
    Inline hook as a spinnerbait hook will matter due to when the jig deflects off something the jig will roll over and not stay upright. Head design really comes into play to have some ballast to stay upright. If the jig is more bullet shaped you might pull the jig several feet before the jig up-rights due to no belly weight.
    If the jig is on its side you will hook the fish in the corner of mouth, usually the hook pulling out. Weed guard can also cause problems. If the fish hits from the side of the jig and the upper lip or roof of the mouth hits the weed guard, it can roll the jig on its side, thus the corner of the mouth hook up and possibly fish lost
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 10-23-2018 at 03:08 PM.

4. Member
    For swimming a jig up here in the weeds and around light cover I use a jig made from the Do It mold SMJ-3-SF. I fish mostly a 1/4 oz over and through the weeds. I use a 30 degree Mustad hook, and a lighter weed guard. I wish Do It made this mold in 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 in the same mold. Guess they could only sell one mold that way instead of two though.

5. Member
    For me the 30 degree straight-eye hook works best for swim jigs. Any other jig I like the flat-eye hooks because the knot stays centered on the jig.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    For swimming a jig up here in the weeds and around light cover I use a jig made from the Do It mold SMJ-3-SF. I fish mostly a 1/4 oz over and through the weeds. I use a 30 degree Mustad hook, and a lighter weed guard. I wish Do It made this mold in 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 in the same mold. Guess they could only sell one mold that way instead of two though.
    That's also the mold that I use. It works well.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I have several of the jig molds that you are considering.... Brand new. I dont think I ever used them. Let me know if you are wanting one.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html