Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Joe4d
    he who dies with the most credit card debt wins,,, Screw it,, aint like u can take it with you.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    he who dies with the most credit card debt wins,,, Screw it,, aint like u can take it with you.
    I've never seen a hurst with a trailer hitch!

That being said by Friday I'll be completely debt free at 35. .......

A rent to own place went in. A girl who worked for me at the time bought a VCR (which shows you how long ago this was) and was going to pay just $16 a week for 36 weeks. I asked her why she would do that, when she could put $16 a week in a jar and buy a VCR in 12 weeks. She said, "because I don't want to wait". There is the big problem with people today!!!! She was willing to pay 2.5 times what the VCR was worth, to have it now.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Credit should be a tool of convenience for the person who otherwise can pay for, or has a viable means to pay for over a reasonable period of time. Credit should not be used as a short sighted means to push a problem off into the future. Intelligent people with financial experience are most likely to have done well for themselves and are most able to benefit from credit as a convenience. Less intelligent and/or less financially experienced people are more likely to find themselves in a financial hole, and are unfortunately the most likely to view credit as a quick resolution to the current financial problem without proper consideration for the future. Financial institutions are not doing these people any favors by extending them credit. They are profiting off someone's misery.
    Washington D.C

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    A rent to own place went in. A girl who worked for me at the time bought a VCR (which shows you how long ago this was) and was going to pay just $16 a week for 36 weeks. I asked her why she would do that, when she could put $16 a week in a jar and buy a VCR in 12 weeks. She said, "because I don't want to wait". There is the big problem with people today!!!! She was willing to pay 2.5 times what the VCR was worth, to have it now.
    It's amazing how many people negotiate in payments instead of price. Was negotiating with a car dealer on my wife's car a few years ago and he kept wanting to talk payments. He was at a certain price, I offered a lower price, he said let me check. Came back 5 years later and said "Good news, I was able to get your payment down to $X/month". I quickly ran the numbers and the cost of the car was like $300 higher than his previous offer but with lower payment on a longer term. Asked him if I looked like an idiot and walked out the door. I guess that stuff works on people though or they wouldn't try it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Sort of right, sort of wrong.

Let’s not forget that Dodd-Frank forced banks to lend money to people that the banks knew could not pay it back.

ONLY?...Hardly.
    Dodd Frank was passed in 2010 to protect consumers from predatory lending. I believe you are thinking of the Community Reinvestment Act which required banks to do business in areas where they took deposits. The collapse of the mortgage market was caused by Mortgage Companies that do not take deposits and were not required to make loans to anyone. The deregulation of banking, started in the 1980's and finished in 1999, which removed most of the line between Saving Banks, Commercial Banks and Investment Banks, created the situation in which Mortgage Companies could sell their debt directly to the public, as investment securities, instead of through the Government, who had strict controls. The Mortgage Companies did not have to hold risky loans, and made most of their money from fees instead of mortgage interest.

When a lender tells you that you can carry a loan you ten to believe them because they are, after all, professional lenders.

7. Member
    Banks should not be allowed to sell a mortgage, or a group of mortgages. Once you make the loan you keep it and answer to the board for any defaults. That's how it was back in the 50s and 60s.

8. Banned
    Its somebody elses fault.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Its somebody elses fault.
    clearly! I hate that banks give "dope" to addicts but it is a free economy.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    I've never seen a hurst...

11. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar

I bet you meant 'hearse'; and now you have ...

...and congrats on the milestone.
    Who controls John Gill?

12. Member
    ....hearst.....just sayin' I believe Hurst is a transmission (?)

13. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by njpaulc View Post
    ....hearst.....just sayin' I believe Hurst is a transmission (?)
    This is a Hearst...

This is a Hurst/Olds 442...

I don't know if the latter has a trailer hitch.
    Who controls John Gill?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I've never seen a hurst...
    Yeah my bad.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    I bet you meant 'hearse'; and now you have ...

...and congrats on the milestone.
    LOL I stand corrected. Thanks by the way.

16. Member
    One thing for sure ... if you aren’t always acting in the best interests of others, you are what’s wrong with the world. It’s simply not acceptable to take advantage of the desperate, defenseless, disabled, less educated, etc. We are ALL our brother’s keeper, period.

17. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Its actually been trending down since 2009 if you look at the graph further down the page..I'm sure 2008 was a wake up call for some...but alot have short term memories..
    Huh? Avg credit card debt goes up 2013 - 2016 then down 2017 2018............ My point was that a growing economy seems to help

18. Member
    I make a decent salary, around 140,000 a year. Based on my salary and credit, when I went to buy a home, the bank was willing to approve me for an 800,000 dollar home. While this is all fine and dandy, I knew from my budget, that there was no way in hell I could afford an 800,000 dollar home! To me the argument about "predatory lending" is a bunch of BS. Have some personal accountability!. I feel the same way when I hear these college grads complaining about "student loans" No one forced you to take the loan. You signed a contract to pay back the loan. Don't try to get out of it now just because you didn't get that high paying dream job you wanted. There are alternatives available ......Community College, Trade School, Apprenticeship....etc......

19. Banned

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blckshp55 View Post
    I make a decent salary, around 140,000 a year. Based on my salary and credit, when I went to buy a home, the bank was willing to approve me for an 800,000 dollar home. While this is all fine and dandy, I knew from my budget, that there was no way in hell I could afford an 800,000 dollar home! To me the argument about "predatory lending" is a bunch of BS. Have some personal accountability!. I feel the same way when I hear these college grads complaining about "student loans" No one forced you to take the loan. You signed a contract to pay back the loan. Don't try to get out of it now just because you didn't get that high paying dream job you wanted. There are alternatives available ......Community College, Trade School, Apprenticeship....etc......
    THIS!!!!
    I believe in personal responsibility and accountability.
    However, those with less money will usually always have higher credit card debt. I have been there. Raising 5 boys, sometimes insurance deductibles and med bills were paid on credit cards. Now that I am making nearly 3 times my salary during those times, I can pay cash for life's needs or pay the balance off a credit card when I want.

Most abuse credit cards, some use them to survive.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast