Thread: Oneida help

Oneida help

Coming up from NC to fish Oneida next week. really need some help on finding smallies. Was there back in late June and found some but most had lock jaw. Last big trip of the year and would like to get on them. also planning to try the walleye fishing from shore at night that I've been reading about. Appreciate any tips and information.

Thanks

2. Member
    Make sure you stock up on A rigs, keitech 2.8s and 3.3s, some red eye shads and squarbills. This time of year it become a power fishing lake and all the bait starts moving around. Launch depending on the wind. This time of year the lake is unpredictable. Mostly though they’ll be grouped up on shoals and in front of creeks and rock piles. Unless it’s dead calm I wouldn’t worry about drop shorting or anything.

at night use a storm thunder stick jr in sea trout. A rapala floating minnow in hot steel or silver, or a rapala finesse minnow. Just blind cast and you’ll get into them. Have also used a keitech 2.8 in sexy shad and limited out on walleye a few times. White grubs will do good too
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Appreciate the info Ecobb91. I've been watching the 10 day forecast and it looks like weather up there is about as predictable as it is here in NC. thanks again for the tips.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ericvanlamb View Post
    Appreciate the info Ecobb91. I've been watching the 10 day forecast and it looks like weather up there is about as predictable as it is here in NC. thanks again for the tips.
    If coming from NC, bring some very very very warm clothes with you as well as some excellent cold weather rain gear seems all it does is rain.

5. Member
    Weather has been horrible and looks to be worse coming up. Shore fishing for walleye might be your best bet

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    Weather has been horrible and looks to be worse coming up. Shore fishing for walleye might be your best bet
    wish I was in NC fishing if it were me id stay there and im only hour away from Oneida

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    wish I was in NC fishing if it were me id stay there and im only hour away from Oneida
    Hey let's not get crazy NC fishing blows in october. Usually october is heaven on earth on oneida lake! Tell ya what the perch and walleye love it

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Hey let's not get crazy NC fishing blows in october. Usually october is heaven on earth on oneida lake! Tell ya what the perch and walleye love it
    Usually... key word there and were almost into November. Usually October is heaven on earth most places for smallmouth in NY...from my experience not so much this year, especially Oneida its been off most of the year. Perch and Walleye you may be correct wouldn't know, dont fish for them.

9. Member
    been bad in NC this year too. over abundance of shad in my home lakes has made it tougher than normal. probably worst year for LM bass fishing i can remember. My college buddy lives in south Jersey, so he's meeting me at Oneida. had a good trip in late June, caught fish 1 day, blown off map next day. i figure if i'm there 3 full days, i'll get one decent day to fish. any idea if the LM in Oneida are still in Big Bay this time of year?

10. Member
    They never leave big bay they winter there

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    They never leave big bay they winter there
    this, always largemouth to be caught in big bay spring, summer, fall, dont ignore river up to lock.. caught a 7.4 LM last year