Mercury 75hp air compresser

My issue is on a 2012 Mercury 75hp Optimax serial #1B934210.

I was running Saturday at 5200 rpm and all of the sudden my engine seemed to stall and quit. Started back up and seemed to run normal with the exception of noticable knock. I have isolated the knock and it sounds like the air compressor. The compressor seems to be building pressure but I dont know how much. If the compressor has lost the rings how much damage does this normally cause down stream?
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

2. Member
    Anyone?
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

You'll get an answer from the big dogs by tomorrow but for starters other than new compressor an inline filters, you will need to send fuel rail, hoses and injectors to Don Weed (European Marine) to remove any debris from compressor. Otherwise you will spend a good bit of money on the compressor only to see Opti go KABOOM!!

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

4. Member
    I have the boat at good dealer for repairs. I am fact finding for my benifit. I hope to hear something by the end of the week. Luckily this is a slow time of the year for my area.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Compressor is easily separated from engine for diagnostic purposes (remove belt and operate by hand). Minor disassembly of the compressor may sometimes be needed, other times it's very obvious just by attempting to rotate the compressor.

Best repair practices are described above. Very important to get all traces of metal fragments out of the system if there has been ANY form of compressor failure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    [QUOTE=EuropeanAM;9751909]Compressor is easily separated from engine for diagnostic purposes (remove belt and operate by hand). Minor disassembly of the compressor may sometimes be needed, other times it's very obvious just by attempting to rotate the compressor.

I did this and the compressor is building and holding pressure. I am thinking the issue is really something simple that I have overlooked. I am hoping that this is nothing but a worn belt causing the tension arm to bounce around and make this knocking sound.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to check for any up-down or lateral movement in pulley- and make sure that there is no metallic "clunk" at the bottom of the stroke/rotation.

Belt is possible... but usually VISIBLY apparent.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I sent you a PM on this Don
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And responded.