Hydromotive impressions!!

When I first got my boat it had 1.62’s and we struggled to find a prop with good holeshot when tournament loaded. We made some progress, but was still not satisfied. Since I only run short distances, a smaller prop for tourney fishing made sense to me. Would have good hole shot and still plenty fast.

I spoke with Todd at Hydromotive about 2 yrs ago, and told him what I wanted. He built me and 24 XOB that was really good out of the hole and really quick to 80 +

When I swapped to the 1.75’s I never ran the XOB thinking way to small. I have run it the last 2 times out fishing. What in the world was I waiting on.....this prop is fun. Boat feels like a go cart. Rocket hole shot, so quick. Boat also feels really connected in any water. Makes the boat feel nimble like no other prop I have tried. Would love to try a maybe a 28-30 XOB.

Really impressive prop.
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

2. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    I initially had a 1.75 gear case and got a 29 XOB for that. I run the same prop on my 1.62 gear case and still happy with it. I have the older design with the flare ring welded on. I think the new ones have the flare cast in. Great prop!

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

3. Member
    Met, your experience is why I am running a 27XOB on my boat. I have a 300 Racing on the back and can run more pitch (I have a 29 and a 30" too) but the 27 is too sweet to not run it fishing and for general not WOT fun.

4. Member
    I love my 28 and 30 xob's. I've had them for years and are my go to props for all around use.

5. Member
    My experience with them is quite different. I would be hard pressed to buy another one.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    My experience with them is quite different. I would be hard pressed to buy another one.
    Hooken they are without a doubt (to me) the best props ever made. As far as overall performance with a fishing load.

Now im talking about the Q-IV. For my setup a 28 Q-IV is 3 to 4 mph faster topend than a 29 bravo FS. But same great hole shot.

Its the only prop I can get great hole shot and topend with.

7. Member
    On a xb2003 it’s hard to beat a quad IVOT, bar nun favorite.

On my xb21 I really liked my xob especially in the lower pitches but have turned recently to the promax props, easy to drive and great overall performance.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21SS View Post
    Hooken they are without a doubt (to me) the best props ever made. As far as overall performance with a fishing load.

Now im talking about the Q-IV. For my setup a 28 Q-IV is 3 to 4 mph faster topend than a 29 bravo FS. But same great hole shot.

Its the only prop I can get great hole shot and topend with.
    Best props ever made. ��! You pay top dollar for them and then get beat up for another 200 dollars for adjustment to make not even a slight difference. No thanks.

Not a knock on Hydromotive props but I have done lots of testing with holeshot and acceleration testing loaded to fish and have yet to find that magic xob I have heard about. All ran decent on my boat but none have been special. They do give nice topend numbers and drive ok just all not the best for my dollar or best for my setup and driving style. I have ran a 27, 28, couple 29's and a 30 so I have a good sample to choose from. I do not hate them just not a huge fan as of yet! My biggest complaint is how long it takes to get the nose up and fly! All of them had been worked to get move bow lift and still needed lots more from 55-90 range then they flew the bow to much lol.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

10. Member
    When some of you guys let me borrow ya'lls magic, none-Hydro Quad IV props, and let me experience something better, then I'll change my mind. So far I have run more props than I can honestly remember and nothing has made me as satisfied as the Hydro. I'm sure there are many that I would love if Powell and Woody would quit hoarding them. Jay, bring your props and come to the cabin next July. I want to run what you have and see how they handle. According to our northern buddy Geoff, they are pretty darn nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    When some of you guys let me borrow ya'lls magic, none-Hydro Quad IV props, and let me experience something better, then I'll change my mind. So far I have run more props than I can honestly remember and nothing has made me as satisfied as the Hydro. I'm sure there are many that I would love if Powell and Woody would quit hoarding them. Jay, bring your props and come to the cabin next July. I want to run what you have and see how they handle. According to our northern buddy Geoff, they are pretty darn nice.
    With my future job change I hope to be able to make a trip or two east and meet you and some of the gang soon! Funny thing is I really don't have a magic wheel either. Our northern buddy is also a hoarder of a couple for sure lol.
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    With my future job change I hope to be able to make a trip or two east and meet you and some of the gang soon! Funny thing is I really don't have a magic wheel either. Our northern buddy is also a hoarder of a couple for sure lol.
    That Dang Geoff came to the house this summer and didn't bring even one prop for me to run. LOL. He's afraid me or Powell is gonna bust trips and keep the prop. LOL

13. BBC SPONSOR
    All of my Hydros run extremely well.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    All of my Hydros run extremely well.
    I have heard that somewhere before! Maybe a video would back that up some lol
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    That Dang Geoff came to the house this summer and didn't bring even one prop for me to run. LOL. He's afraid me or Powell is gonna bust trips and keep the prop. LOL
    He should be migrating south very soon so maybe I can get another crack at one or both those magic wheels again and push the envelope a tad more!
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

16. Member
    He has some great wheels

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    I have heard that somewhere before! Maybe a video would back that up some lol
    No video needed, ol girl could speak for herself anytime
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0