Thread: 1980 vs 2080

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1980 vs 2080

I'm seriously considering buying a Vexus. Question would be for guys who have been in the same boat, what is the biggest difference to those the 2080 over the 1980? Priced with options I want both with tandem trailers it is a $6,000 difference. Other then 4" longer what would be the benefit of getting the 2080. Thanks

2. Member
    Based on your wishes the biggest difference is the 50 extra hp, which will increase your top speed from 58ish mph to 65ish mph. The increased length will give you a little bigger front deck. I believe everything else is exactly the same

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog619 View Post
    Based on your wishes the biggest difference is the 50 extra hp, which will increase your top speed from 58ish mph to 65ish mph. The increased length will give you a little bigger front deck. I believe everything else is exactly the same
    Only difference is 4 inches on the rear deck and of course the 200 motor .....the front decks are the exact same size on the 1980 and 2080

4. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    The 2080 is four inches longer, rated for 50 more horsepower and comes standard with a dual axle trailer. . .

5. Member
    I guess my question is. Is 4 extra inches and 5 mph or so worth $6000?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithlakebass View Post
    I guess my question is. Is 4 extra inches and 5 mph or so worth $6000?
    I think only the person making the purchase decision can answer that for themselves. For some, the extra 7-8 mph is worth the added cost of $22-25/ mo. I went with a fully decked out 1980 rather than a stripped down boat with more hp. But the lakes I fish are not big bodies of water where the extra hp is needed.

7. Member
    Which every you get make sure you opt for the 36 volt ultrex.

8. Member
    Do you really need a 36 volt trolling motor on an aluminum 19 footer, seems a bit over kill to me.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Do you really need a 36 volt trolling motor on an aluminum 19 footer, seems a bit over kill to me.
    You don't need one. I fished out of a 2080 and the 80 Ultrex was plenty IMO
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

10. Member
    Never have another 24 Volt Troller. Let all my buddies tell me I didn't need a 36 volt on a 18 foot boat and have regretted it ever since. Fish big water in the wind or river in current and you'll miss the extra power and the longevity of three batteries.
    This year especially has been bad.

So what makes a 36 volt so much better than a 24 volt?

Can't just be power because if I have my 24 volt on the highest setting (18 foot aluminum boat) and I am standing up it will throw me over the side.

12. Member
    Yea that's the thing my gut is leading me toward the 1980 with dual axle trailer. I really would like to ride in both to see the difference

13. Member
    Another thing I want the Suzuki I live on the lake and Suzuki dealer is literally 1/4 mile from my house. Do they not offer a 200hp Suzuki?

14. Member
    All I can say is the 36 volt was an extra 500 with battery and all. I own a 1980 and the extra time on the trolling for a little wind issues, the extra battery is peace of mind.

15. Member
    I think you will be happy with either. I chose the 1980, G2 HO 150, dual console and dual axle trailer. I added a brand new ultrex 112 because I had just bought it for the Ranger I sold. Added a 360 unit for the same reason. Both those, as well as the electronics, are overkill for my fishing skill level but I have fun without passing judgement. Might as well have the fun toys.

Here’s my experience so far: it trailers like a dream. The G2 has enough power to pop it up on plane in about 2 to 3 seconds. Get the 2080 and a 200 if you need an ego boost or a few extra mph because you fish for money. Otherwise, the 150 is plenty fast and quick as well as a miserly fuel sipper. It is much quieter than I anticipated. The 112 Ultrex is great to have in the wind and it’s easy enough to put four batteries in the cavern below the rear deck. It will not throw you out of the boat because it has a soft start feature. You will want a four bank charger. Two plugs and separate chargers is a pain. My new charger is sitting on the front deck waiting for a rainy Saturday install. The live well is too big for my normal catch but I hope to change that with more practice

Words of wisdom: A 12 inch Helix on the console is way too much screen and requires an expensive bracket. I had a SI Helix 12 that I took off the 521 Ranger I sold but would have gone with a 10 inch unit if I was buying new. Victor Red gets hot sitting in the sun. If I had it to do over I would try the tangerine or the white. I was a week too early to get the urea flooring. When the carpet gets worn that will be my replacement as I intend to travel extensively in the RV with the worlds best wife and my new boat! Somebody needs to tell the engineers to put gas props on all the storage box lids. So far, that and the constant rainy weekends have been my biggest gripes. The boat cover is going to need an additional panel sewn in if you go with the 54” 112 Ultrex and a 360 imaging unit. I anticipated that because my Ranger needed the same thing. Find a dealer who will communicate and get you a fair deal. I got unbelievable service from the crew at Day’s Marine in Frankfort. If you’re within range, they are, IMHO, worth the drive or a call.

Best of Luck in your search and Good Fishing!

16. Member
    I have the same boat as kybanker and I love the boat. I tournament fish a lot and other than a little speed, the boat is above my expectations. I don't believe you can go wrong either way.

17. Member
    Ok how is the evinrude on oil and gas?
    I'm really leaning toward the 1980. It's almost 20ft and what I hear it runs high 50s which is plenty fast.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithlakebass View Post
    Ok how is the evinrude on oil and gas?
    I'm really leaning toward the 1980. It's almost 20ft and what I hear it runs high 50s which is plenty fast.
    My 1980 with Mercury 150 ProXS runs 58 mph easily and it’s hit 60 a couple times when on smooth water and trimmed up just right. It’s plenty fast enough for me.

19. Member
    I don’t have a scientific answer for the oil and gas question. After the first trip, two days on a small lake, I pumped in $20 worth of gas. After the second trip, two days on a huge lake with lots of long runs, I still showed over half a tank. That should equate to about 7 gallons a day. Compared to my old 521 Ranger with a 250 Yamaha, I saved enough on gas for a nice dinner which was important because I caught very few fish. I describe the motor as a fuel sipper compared to my old boat. Oil usage is minimal and should go down once past the programmed break in period.

20. Member
    The rude is awesome on oil and gas. High 50's is possible with some tweaking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast