Jeep Grand Cherokee with eco diesel thoughts?

Looking at a 2014 with 140k miles on it. It is in great condition and drives nice. Anyone have one or any dealings with one? Opinions?

It is for my daughter who is almost 16.......

2. Member
    No. Don't run, take Delta.

3. Member
    Same diesel that's in the Dodge 1/2 ton trucks?
    I'm not sure I'd get a first time driver a diesel. She blanks out and fills it with gas, you got a problem.
    2018 Xpress H20 Bay
    Got it finally! Pictures soon to come...

4. Member
    I just took my BIL's back to the dealer for what I found out was the fourth forced DPF regeneration. He says they are about 190.00 each. We tried to DIY with a 200.00 scan tool he bought but some module had gone out of wack and blocked us. His GPS is whacked. I've drove it several times. It's a 2016 with about 113,000 miles. No other real big issues that I know of. MY FIL's Eco diesel Ram left him stranded so much in the 30K miles he owned he got rid of it. He REALLY liked that truck. just could not trust it. The price would have to be REAL REAL good for me to risk it, and no way would I want my daughter out in one alone at night.

5. Member
    Don't do it

Do a delete and get about 30+ mpg.

I have owned my Ram eco diesel (same engine) since new and love it. No issues in 4 years and 78k miles. Avg mpg = 24.5 since I have owned it. That’s city, highway, and towing combined.
    Brad Luchsinger

2003 Allison XB-21 BasSport 2+2
    2004 Mercury Racing 250XS

1998 Xpress X70
    1998 Yamaha Vmax 150 TRP

2002 Triton 200XP

8. Member
    I have a 2014 Jeep ecodiesel. I have had the entire exhaust system replaced 1-2 times depending on parts and have 110k on it. I would honestly look for another vehicle unless you need it for towing, etc.

No comment

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    No comment
    technically you commented LOL
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Not the same, but I have a 2008 Jeep GC with a 3.0 but it is the sprinter motor/Mercedes. Love it, not sure about the Fiat diesel, they have been making them for 100+ years.

12. Banned
    Don't buy it.

13. Member
    Honda, or Toyota.

Teen girls all want the jeeps - that said I would buy her a good reliable used Toyota or honda.

Thanks for all the replies and PM’s. My FIL owns the dealership that has the vehicle and we drove it for the day. It is a great vehicle but we have decided to wait and find her something else. She likes the Grand Cherokee and other suvs similar. She also likes the Mercedes GLK350. We are fortunate enough to have him as a dealer and can find what we want.

She doesn’t turn 16 until February so we are not in a hurry.

That might be the luckiest 15 year old in the world lol my first car cost 20 bucks a day to drive back and fourth to school and gas was 80 cents a gallon lol

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jham0077 View Post
    Same diesel that's in the Dodge 1/2 ton trucks?
    I'm not sure I'd get a first time driver a diesel. She blanks out and fills it with gas, you got a problem.
    I agree with this 100%.. I would never buy a first time driver a diesel.

Ill bet if you do this she will say thanks but no thanks. Take her to a diesel pump and say grab the pump and now feel how oily your hand is and how bad it smells. Still want a diesel honey???? Little girlies going to high school to impress the boys wont want to smell like diesel. Well maybe the boys might like that... Still even more reason to not get her a diesel lol.

My guess is the answer will be no.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I agree with this 100%.. I would never buy a first time driver a diesel.

Ill bet if you do this she will say thanks but no thanks. Take her to a diesel pump and say grab the pump and now feel how oily your hand is and how bad it smells. Still want a diesel honey???? Little girlies going to high school to impress the boys wont want to smell like diesel. Well maybe the boys might like that... Still even more reason to not get her a diesel lol.

My guess is the answer will be no.. lol
    We did that last night. I had her fuel the vehicle and it was not an issue. She is a female but not a girlie girl for sure. She has been around diesels on the farm and that’s not a problem. She plays soccer, hunts, fishes, and really doesn’t give two craps what someone else thinks.

She has asked if she can just take my 07 Tahoe that has 275k miles on it. She said she knows it’s a good truck and with the 4x4 she can get to the boats to go duck hunting.