Question Remote Oil Tank oil level sending unit???

2003 Optimax 225hp Powerhead (0T648533) on a 2002 Ranger 620VS. I removed the remote oil tank to access live well hoses, etc. When I went to put everything back, I noticed the remote oil tank had a float installed inside the tank next to the pickup tube. However, there is no wiring coming from the cap above the float/pickup tube.

So, would it be safe to assume the small oil tank on 2003 Powerhead has its own oil level alarm in the small tank mounted next to Powerhead? And what I am seeing is the remnants of what a 2002 Powerhead would have used?

dh

Yes sir the alarm will be located on the motor reservoir.
    My first thought for a float in the remote tank might be for boat mounted oil level gauge.

3. Member
    All tanks mounted on the motor have level sensors for the computer.

Some boat mounted tanks have oil level sensors to read levels on a dash gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Yes sir the alarm will be located on the motor reservoir.
    My first thought for a float in the remote tank might be for boat mounted oil level gauge.
    Thanks for the reply. This motor has the SC1000 monitor and no oil level gauge on dash. So, maybe the remote tank was installed with a sensor from the factory and just not utilized??? I have not found any extra wires anywhere. Any idea what color code they would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    All tanks mounted on the motor have level sensors for the computer.

Some boat mounted tanks have oil level sensors to read levels on a dash gauge.
    Thanks for the reply. Is an oil level gauge for the remote tank a good idea? Or is the motor mounted tank level alarm suitable?

Quote Originally Posted by darleyhavidson View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Is an oil level gauge for the remote tank a good idea? Or is the motor mounted tank level alarm suitable?
    Some boats come with a tank level gauge and it would be mighty handy. Most of those also have a remote fill tube just like your gas tank.... my tank is fairly accessible and not a big problem.
    If you wait until the reservoir alarm sounds you will have to bleed it upon refilling the oil tank.
    I don't know what color the wires might be. Hopefully someone who does will show up.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darleyhavidson View Post
    I just periodically look at the oil tank level, and add oil if necessary.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As stated, tanks can be ordered with, or without the sender. You can also order a sender to retrofit into a tank that did not have one.

NORMALLY used with a Fuel/Oil Harness, and displayed on Smartcraft as "Tank-2" (Oil).

Could, theoretically, be used with an Analog Gauge (but NOT when using Smartcraft for oil level). Either-or, but NOT both.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    As stated, tanks can be ordered with, or without the sender. You can also order a sender to retrofit into a tank that did not have one.

NORMALLY used with a Fuel/Oil Harness, and displayed on Smartcraft as "Tank-2" (Oil).

Could, theoretically, be used with an Analog Gauge (but NOT when using Smartcraft for oil level). Either-or, but NOT both.
    I appreciate the insight. A follow up a question: I would like to swap the caps on remote oil tank. Meaning: one side has the oil fill adapter hose connected that runs to the deck of the boat. The other cap contains the pickup tube/sender. The way the transom is designed I am having a difficult time bending the hose to get it to fit over the oil fill adapter (which is located on the port side of tank). If I swap cap positions the oil fill hose will have a gradual descent without any sharp bends which will make inserting hose on adapter much easier.
    Hopefully this makes sense on what I am trying to do.

dh

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No problem with doing so. Just make sure the one with the float is oriented with the float pointing LENGTHWISE in the tank.

Will look like the below picture (exactly):

Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    No problem with doing so. Just make sure the one with the float is oriented with the float pointing LENGTHWISE in the tank.

Will look like the below picture (exactly):

Perfect! Thanks again for the assistance.