Transducer Shield & Saver on Ranger RT 198P

I have 2 HDS Gen 3's with structure Scan. No matter what I do with the HDS units, I can not get a clear picture when in side scan. When in bottom scan, I get see the bottom, but not in that great of detail. I'm thinking that the dealership has mounted the transducer improperly on the port side of the rig under the step, referring to the proper angle. Transducer Saver has an attachment that mounts to the starboard side of the jack plate & they claim this attachment places the transducer at the proper angle while in the water, therefore producing a clear & detail screen shot . Has anyone use or have a Transducer saver mounted on the starboard side of their jack plate. I have a 6 in Atlas plate on the rig. Thanks Glenn

I mounted a TS&S spring bracket on my 6” SlideMaster. Clear imaging, and protection if I slide over a stump or lay down. I’ve got more photos if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Double post.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I have 2 HDS Gen 3's with structure Scan. No matter what I do with the HDS units, I can not get a clear picture when in side scan. When in bottom scan, I get see the bottom, but not in that great of detail. I'm thinking that the dealership has mounted the transducer improperly on the port side of the rig under the step, referring to the proper angle. Transducer Saver has an attachment that mounts to the starboard side of the jack plate & they claim this attachment places the transducer at the proper angle while in the water, therefore producing a clear & detail screen shot . Has anyone use or have a Transducer saver mounted on the starboard side of their jack plate. I have a 6 in Atlas plate on the rig. Thanks Glenn

"Proper angle" is the face of the transducer parallel with the bottom at idle speed scanning. Most boat's attitude at rest or slow idle is bow up when at the console. Soooooo, the trailing end of the transducer is higher than the mount end when properly adjusted. That is what the Transducer Shield and Save jackplate L bracket does for the installation--no adjustment--it's a fixed angle.

The idea is you want the Scan pulses vertical (front to back) instead of tilted so the images are the sharpest.
    RazorCat's is the wrong attitude for sharp images. His is parallel with the trailer bunks.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 10-22-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    "Proper angle" is the face of the transducer parallel with the bottom at idle speed scanning. Most boat's attitude at rest or slow idle is bow up when at the console. Soooooo, the trailing end of the transducer is higher than the mount end when properly adjusted. That is what the Transducer Shield and Save jackplate L bracket does for the installation--no adjustment--it's a fixed angle.

The idea is you want the Scan pulses vertical (front to back) instead of tilted so the images are the sharpest.
    RazorCat's is the wrong attitude for sharp images. His is parallel with the trailer bunks.
    You can’t determine the angle of my transducer from the angle of my photos.
    I set the proper angle of the spring mount and transducer with the bottom of the boat as it sits at idle speed, while in the water, using a separate height adjustable level at marked locations on the front deck and rear deck. Once I locked the levels in position I put the boat on the trailer and used the levels and tongue jack to the achieve proper angle of the bottom of the boat as it would sit in the water. I then leveled the transducer mount to be parallel with the bottom of the boat. I get crystal clear images at idle speed and trolling speed.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

This is how mine is mounted on my Xpress. I have clear images but lose bottom at 30 mph.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys, I order the L Bracket & the Shield today from Transducer Shield & Saver. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. Glenn