Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ever hit that stretch of road?

Coming back from St Clair on 94 West a few weeks ago, newer concrete pavement, truck and boat start to bounce up and down really bad. So bad that I pulled off an exit to check all my tires on truck and boat and see if bearings were hot. No problems. Pulled back on the interstate, same thing for the next several miles, varied speeds, still bouncing. Get closer to Romulus and it goes away. Then perfect when I hit 275. Anybody else have this problem? Scared the crap out of me. Can the new pavement be that damn bad?

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    The fun of the expansion gaps in concrete...
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

That’s the norm in California.

4. Member
    Concrete roads suck!!

5. Member
    Yes, there's a section between St. Joe/Benton Harbor Michigan just like you describe. Horrible!

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

6. Member
    Naaa our problem is dodging the holes down to the re-bar on our interstates. Our ride can really be a bumpy ride.

7. Member
    Would almost rather dodge the potholes! At least I can see them.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    Concrete roads suck!!
    Amen.....haven't pulled a boat on a smooth one yet. If they start out smooth when new, one winter changes everything....
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

The Cimmarron turnpike between I-35 and Tulsa. Worst stretch of road on the Lord's earth!

10. Member
    I wad really hoping this would have something to do with watching the boost Guage depart vacuum at a rapid rate while seeing the speedo go deep into triple digits as the supercharger whined in harmony with the V8 is was feeding....
    Last edited by ColdSVT; 10-22-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

11. Member
    The stretch between Memphis and little rock use to be the worst bounce you to death we always had to stop and tighten our hitch balls up LOL

Yeah, we have a section of I-94 here northwest of the Twin Cities that's like that. They've since gone through and smoothed it out, but when it was at its worst the left lane wasn't nearly as bad as the right lane. Felt like a jerk riding right at the speed limit in the left lane, but it was what it was. Past that you just had to deal with it and hope it didn't send you sliding off the road if it got to bouncing too bad. A hitch tightener I added after going through something very similar to what the OP mentions helped a little bit, but it's a pain in the butt due to needing to grab a wrench to remove it to take the hitch out of the receiver.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    The stretch between Memphis and little rock use to be the worst bounce you to death we always had to stop and tighten our hitch balls up LOL

They were still working on that stretch last time I drove it a few months ago. I think generations have worked on that stretch and never seen it completed.

14. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    Concrete roads suck!!
    Just the opposite, down here... We don't have the freezing/thawing issues that cause the problems with concrete.

Now, the asphalt?!?

In many places, it softens in the summer to the point that it gets grooved by constant heavy use... Those grooves are great at holding water (lots of hydroplaning) and the water amplifies any little defects that develop, eventually turning them into potholes that require multiple patches over the life of the surface.
    Who controls John Gill?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Yeah, we have a section of I-94 here northwest of the Twin Cities that's like that. They've since gone through and smoothed it out, but when it was at its worst the left lane wasn't nearly as bad as the right lane. Felt like a jerk riding right at the speed limit in the left lane, but it was what it was. Past that you just had to deal with it and hope it didn't send you sliding off the road if it got to bouncing too bad. A hitch tightener I added after going through something very similar to what the OP mentions helped a little bit, but it's a pain in the butt due to needing to grab a wrench to remove it to take the hitch out of the receiver.
    Hmmm. Never heard of a hitch tightener. Just looked it up. Seems like a pain but might be worth the trouble. I rarely pull thr hitch anyway.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    There is a northbound lane of I-95 in Delaware where if you take the I-295 bypass you will get that bounce that can really scare you. It only happens on the right lane and it was terrifying with a 2004 Triton tin boat I owned. I fixed that problem by replacing the leaf springs on my trailer with a higher rating and the problem went away.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

I have never had a stretch bad enough to make me pull over and look but there are some places I will start feeling minor things and worry. My trailer is a never ending headache to begin with.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

18. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    The Cimmarron turnpike between I-35 and Tulsa. Worst stretch of road on the Lord's earth!
    actually the worst is on the creek between 169 and the toll gates. its a long elevated stretch of road and it's referred to as roller coaster bridge.
    even the local media outlets use it.. "outbound rush hour traffic has a slowdown on roller coaster bridge". they don't even have to identify the hiway because everybody knows what they're talking about...

and i have to agree as posted,, 40 between little rock and memphis totally sux.. then add the dumbest truck drivers on earth and you have the worst couple of hours of your life you'd ever want to spend.....

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Just the opposite, down here... We don't have the freezing/thawing issues that cause the problems with concrete.

Now, the asphalt?!?

In many places, it softens in the summer to the point that it gets grooved by constant heavy use... Those grooves are great at holding water (lots of hydroplaning) and the water amplifies any little defects that develop, eventually turning them into potholes that require multiple patches over the life of the surface.
    Absolutely!

Northern tier states should not be allowed by law to pave roadways with concrete. The shit can't handle the climate, costs more to repair/replace, and takes longer to repair/replace.

I've been recently travelling a main thouroughfare under construction...being resurfaced...again..
    With concrete. Every three years!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    actually the worst is on the creek between 169 and the toll gates. its a long elevated stretch of road and it's referred to as roller coaster bridge.
    even the local media outlets use it.. "outbound rush hour traffic has a slowdown on roller coaster bridge". they don't even have to identify the hiway because everybody knows what they're talking about...

and i have to agree as posted,, 40 between little rock and memphis totally sux.. then add the dumbest truck drivers on earth and you have the worst couple of hours of your life you'd ever want to spend.....
    I concur, roller coaster bridge is horrible. I won't tow my boat on it at all. It's bad enough without it! I know the stretch of the Cimarron he's referring to though, and it's pretty bad too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast