Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    The stretch between Memphis and little rock use to be the worst bounce you to death we always had to stop and tighten our hitch balls up LOL
    I-40. I swore I was going to lose my boat every time l traveled it. My nephew still travels it for duck hunting. Every time he and I talk about it, we cuss it together.

East bound 696 between mound and Gratiot the two left lanes have a harmonic rhythm that at the right speed the trailer will be bouncing to the point the wheels come off the ground
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Banned
    I will not drive I-94 from the Illinois/Wiconsin border to Minneapolis. I’ll take a longer route instead.

4. Member
    Theres a section on the way to the lake that has weird grooves in it. Sometimes I forget about it and it sounds like a wheel bearing grinding or something. We also have a bridge that is like riding a roller coaster.

5. Member
    Been there, my new service truck has a wheel base that the the concrete roads around here just love. Feels like I am on big water, and unsettling

6. Member
    I-20 around Anniston, Alabama used to be really bad like that.

One time, spare bounced over sideboards on utility trailer. Luckily, no cars behind me when the tire jumped out of trailer.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btlsranger View Post
    Coming back from St Clair on 94 West a few weeks ago, newer concrete pavement, truck and boat start to bounce up and down really bad. So bad that I pulled off an exit to check all my tires on truck and boat and see if bearings were hot. No problems. Pulled back on the interstate, same thing for the next several miles, varied speeds, still bouncing. Get closer to Romulus and it goes away. Then perfect when I hit 275. Anybody else have this problem? Scared the crap out of me. Can the new pavement be that damn bad?
    I've made 2 trips to St. Clair on that route. #1 = tail lights quit working on trailer. #2 = flat tire. Isn't one of the candidates for governor campaigning on the pot hole platform?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btlsranger View Post
    Coming back from St Clair on 94 West a few weeks ago, newer concrete pavement, truck and boat start to bounce up and down really bad. So bad that I pulled off an exit to check all my tires on truck and boat and see if bearings were hot. No problems. Pulled back on the interstate, same thing for the next several miles, varied speeds, still bouncing. Get closer to Romulus and it goes away. Then perfect when I hit 275. Anybody else have this problem? Scared the crap out of me. Can the new pavement be that damn bad?
    Did the exact same thing crossing from Georgia to Alabama. I was sure something had broken and pulled over. Can't remember the road but the trailer was all over the place.

Sitting in traffic on the DC beltway towing my boat this summer. There was a fender bender a couple hundred yards ahead. There was spot in the pavement just past a bridge where it looked like the asphalt had smeared for lack of better terms; a deep pothole followed by a raised area tall enough that I bet my civic would drag bottom. A spot about two feet in diameter right on the yellow line. Can't imagine hitting that at 70 mph in 4 lanes of traffic.

9. Member
    The Santa Ana freeway in Los Angeles bounced horribly in my mother's '65 Chevrolet Impala. It wasn't bad in my '65 Falcon.

10. Member
    When I-75 was new the stretch between about the 5 Mile Marker in Kentucky and Jellico Tennessee was awful. I bet the service stations in Jellico made a mint checking cars from people who didn't know better.

FWIW: Have you ever been to Stick Marsh?

11. Member
    Been on one. I-59 from Chattanooga going into Alabama. You would think you are on a railroad track the way it sounds sometimes.
    Praying for a Cure

12. Member
    There is a stretch of I-90 that's bad and the sad thing is they spent 5 years working on it so it's new. You can feel it being "wavy" when driving on it, but once you get a boat hitched up its even worse. It's a swampy area so I think it's tough get the road right.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

13. Member
    The expansion joints were at a distance apart and of a magnitude that it set up a harmonic in the springs on your vehicle. It’s unusual, but it does happen and can be dangerous.

I-10 in Louisiana. Horrible road.....

I bounce like crazy in my Tundra when driving on Hwy 55 anywhere South of St. Louis. If I speed up to about 80 or slow down to about 50, it stops

16. Member
    Back to the OP stretch of interstate in Detroit, my dad and I were coming home from St. Clair two weeks ago and experienced the same thing. I’m hoping they have I-75 finished by the time my children are old enough to be taking me up there to fish. I-75 north and south bound between Toledo and Detroit is aweful as well.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    They were still working on that stretch last time I drove it a few months ago. I think generations have worked on that stretch and never seen it completed.
    Its funny you say that growing up my grandparents lived in little rock so every thanksgiving we would go from the time i was a small kid i always remembered them working on that road im 48 so let this sink in they have been working on it for almost 48 years and still going strong LOL

18. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Sounds like most of I-69 from Port Huron MI to Indianapolis.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

19. huskyjerk
    Welcome to Michigan, worst roads in the country!

Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    The stretch between Memphis and little rock use to be the worst bounce you to death we always had to stop and tighten our hitch balls up LOL
    It's an Arkansas thing. The same areas of I-40 have been under construction for 40 years (I'm not kidding). My dad always called it a "jobs program".
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast