New Ranger 1850 advice

I have 2012 1850 Ranger and now looking at three new boats. Two are 8 hrs away the 2019 is 45 min away and is my dealer. The 2019 is $46,500, the 2018 is equip close to the 2019 but has captains chairs, full cushion in stern and family fun pkg $44k, the 2017 is best price, same basice options but has lights in all compartments, family fun pkg and Lowrance Hook 7 chirp in dash, set price is $41k

I appreciate any advice of the year and price. I doubt I will do the 2019 until May, he has no 2018's in stock. Colors on 17 and 18 both Platinum Anniversity which is dark grey, silver, black and red trim. Both same engines 4 stroke Merc and full warranty on the outfit and engine for 3 years.

2. Member
    Hum...I can tell you this, I have compartment lights, and love them..they come in very handy. That said, it is not hard to add them if you wanted to...and could easily do for a few hundred bucks if you were so inclined, so wouldn't let that sway you.

I don't think other than colors, there there is much difference in all the 1850 MS models between 2017 and 2017.

By captain's chairs, I assume you mean the Barrel seats? I guess that is personal prefernce, do you prefer them, or are you ok w/ the regular seats.

I think if it were me, I'd do the 2017 ask the dealer to take the Hook 7 out and put some good Electronics in and you are still at the $44k of the 2018, all else being the same.

That said, there is something about buying from your local dealer...and 2 years newer...You say "Both have same engines" but are discussing three boats...I assume all are the same engine? Merc 150 FourStroke, standard, not ProXS?

I have an 1850 LS w/ a Merc 150 Four Stroke...Love it, bought it used (only had 30 hours), but if I were doing it from scratch today, there would be a 175 ProXS on there of the new V6 Variety.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    I appreciate your input, I would move my three Garmins to the new boat: 50dv to bow, 73dv to the dash area and the 840xs in the stern. I just bough the 73 and 840 this past winter. I am probably going to pass this 2017 outfit for two reasons. One, the boat mount Minn Kota will be voided since I will use in Saltwater and the trailer is not aluminum. On my 2012 I have Riptide I Pilot and an Ranger aluminum trailer. But to purchase the same boat in options with 2019 prices would be close to $8k more. The other thing I like on m 2012 is my stand up top made my Berlin boat cover. Its not a bimini and give better protection in the elements and from the sun. I think a report about Yamaha using inferior aluminum in their engines by one owner spooked me.

4. Member
    Your from Ohio? You have 3 of the best dealerships. According to Vic's website, they have 3.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    Your from Ohio? You have 3 of the best dealerships. According to Vic's website, they have 3.
    Yes, in NE Ohio. Vics in stock boats, 1850 over $52 before taxes, one of the 1850 pictured is sold, have to check on the other one. I have to take my boat to Vics to get winterized, but might take trip next Mon or Tues to see what he has to offer. I bought my 2012 from Vics, in Nov of 2012, Tom was great to work with. Also work with Vic and Andy as well.

I just checked and the 2019 1850 Reata in Vics show room is $52,800. It lists some things that don't figure in on built your own boat. Console options at Ranger only list Elite 9 and on Vics its a 7 inch. Also battery charger does not match, not sure if he did the Ranger pkg with cushions, standup top, and Hamby keel guard. I know the deck color is higher in price, as well as Mercury smart craft system. in a nutshell that is way out of my price range. I will go back and price it at what I would order on a Reata 2019 being frugal person that I am the price will be $5-6k less. The way I ordered its $47,500, $5,300 difference and tax savings as well. I will wait and see if this boat is still around in May. The 2019 1880 will be price high, since expensive options, including Merc Pro Xs 200 4 stroke
    Last edited by coach76; 10-26-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling

6. Member
    I think they re-did the 1850 in 2016. All of those are newer than that. The 2017 is the best price and best package right? Seems like a no brainer..... if you are moving your current electronics.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinFamily View Post
    I think they re-did the 1850 in 2016. All of those are newer than that. The 2017 is the best price and best package right? Seems like a no brainer..... if you are moving your current electronics.
    I feel that it would be a good buy but the dealer being over 8 1/2 hours away is not so good. Warranty work on the boat and trailer would be an issue. The other thing holding me back is having two boats until May or June. I appreciate your input and will give it more thought. The 2017 price is good compared to what a 2019 1850 but its does have a package that I dont need which is over $1,700 and couple of things that are not what I need.