Ultrex in Florida Weeds???

I might should have considered this beforehand, but I didn't. And really it would not make a difference because after having it for a month or so, I would still swap the motor out. No doubt about it.

For several years I have fished the Florida weeds and grass with my Maxuum 80. It has the MinnKota Wedge prop that virtually eats right through hydrilla and grass like no trolling motor I ever used. A lot of the year I also fish reservoirs with deeper clear water. I swapped the trolling motor for the Ultrex and love it for fishing the reservoirs. I kept the Maxuum 80 in case the Ultrex gave me problems or was in the shop for some reason. With what I know now, I could swap the motor out in about 2 or 3 hours.

For those of you that have fished the thick stuff with the Ultrex, does it do as good of a job as the Maxuum or Fortrex? If you get into the pads or thick hydrilla, does it do OK with the soft start it has? I am going to take the Maxuum with me when I head south just in case, but was wanting some real world experiences from guys using the Ultrex down there in 6 feet of water with a lot of weeds and pads and grass.... How does it do? That Maxuum would chew right through it.....will the Ultrex perform as well? Thanks.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

2. Member
    I was in some pretty thick hydrilla yesterday with Ultrex and I think it outperforms the Fortrex by a long shot. Even though it has that slower start, I think it has more torque to get through the nasty stuff. Also, the electric steer makes navigating through the thick stuff so much more easier.

3. Member
    Ive seen 2 guys break the steering cable in their Ultrex. The motor itself does fine cutting through the grass. When you get in the really thick stuff and try and turn there is no feedback in the pedal and the servo tries to turn and the cable snaps. In a standard cable steer, you get the feedback of all the grass hung up around the motor and not allowing you turn the head. You're not likely going to stomp on the pedal to force it to turn. The servo doesn't have the reasoning and tries to force the turn and breaks the cable. Just my observation. I run a Fortrex and most guys down here run a Fortrex. I do see some guys with the Ultrex so maybe some of them can weigh in.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

4. Member
    In Florida I will always stick with a Fortrex 101/112. Have fished them both and to me the fortrex winds hands down. In addition, when you are in the thick stuff or around it power poles do the job. I do fish the St. Johns river a lot, however, few times where spot lock would truly pay for me vice the machine a fortrex is in grass.

5. Banned
    Fortrex 36v/112 on a Ranger Z-118- I tried an Ultrex and it didn't do nearly as well IN the weeds and lily pads. I also have attached dual NinjaGrassBlades™ and it cuts and dices like a ginzu..

When You get in there deep, in the thick stuff, the Fortrex works better in MY opinion. (Opinions are like balloon knots, everyone has one and everyone else's stinks)

6. Member
    I put my Ultrex through 1 1/2 years of hard work. There was a steering cable upgrade bulletin which i had done after i did have one break. The good thing with the Ultrex is that even if you snap a cable you have redundancy and can still steer using the remote with a broken cable. I believe it is as good or better in thick grass as the 112 Fortrex.
    2019 Blazer 625 / G2 250
    1996 21XD Bullet SOLD
    2015 Phoenix 920 / 250 Pro XS SOLD
    ALX Rods. www.alxrods.com
    The Best Designed and most Sensitive Bass Fishing Rod in the USA!

7. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Thick grass and weeds? In Fl.?? Do tell!!

I have used my ULTREX 80 in heavy Hydrilla and pads weeds etc., and I am very pleased with it, no issues and it worked like a champ. beats my Fortrexx 80 with a Ninja grass blade. Not looking back....

Spanky

This will give you an idea of the Ultrex with Ninja Grass Blades on. Pretty thick stuff
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F&&FORM=VRDGAR

10. Member
    I haven't noticed an issue getting thru thick stuff. Usually if it's that thick I pull everything up and go with the push pole

11. Member
    Anyone that says the Ultrex is as good in weeds as a Fortrex isn't fishing in heavy weeds. The slow start of the ultrex wraps weeds around the prop before the blades have an opportunity to cut through it.

With that being said, I love my Ultrex

Thanks for relating your experiences....

The Ultrex is so good and useful the rest of the year that I fish reservoirs, that even if I had to swap it back and forth when I head to Florida I would still have installed it. If I could have done it, I would have just added stoplock to the Maxuum. If I have trouble with it, I'll just remove the bolts and put the Maxuum 80 on it for Florida. I am taking the Maxuum 80 with me when I go down. We go to our house down there for about 4 months and I will just swap them if I have to and swap them back when I head back.

It's nice to hear that I probably won't have to though. I have not had it in thick weeds yet and was curious about real world experiences from guys down there using it. I have seen weeds and grass in other places around the country, but I don't think anywhere compares to what I have experienced in Florida.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    Thick grass and weeds? In Fl.?? Do tell!!
    Good spray joke.....
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115