Thread: Trailer Bunks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Wait a minute.......you saying the hull surface resting on the outer boards is not straight like the board?? Straight meaning in full equal contact from front of board to end of board?
    Not that it is off a half inch but there are difference from where the hull weight presses down from g-forces on the trailer during rough road rides, etc. Even a tiny amount of irregularity in the hull could result in a wear area if the outer, horizontal supports (they are horizontal with the ground is what I was implying, and the hull is horizontal as well) albeit the boards are turned up vertically for max support. Thats what I was saying. The gel coat wear is from an area of the hull hitting the boards, that simple. If we could get solid contact all the way we wouldn't have any issue. I've not lost any gelcoat but I have watched mine trailer bunks pretty close. I've seen the damage that bad adjustments and contact can cause though.

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    I must be the lucky one I guess........With both of the 21' Allison's I've had the trailer fitment was perfect , no complaints at all. I just don't get trying to re-invent the wheel but , I've also not had one ounce of problem with the Allison installed jack plate.

you're an anomaly!!! lol

We're not trying to reinvent the wheel ...just give it a much needed balancing and alignment
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    I must be the lucky one I guess........With both of the 21' Allison's I've had the trailer fitment was perfect , no complaints at all. I just don't get trying to re-invent the wheel but , I've also not had one ounce of problem with the Allison installed jack plate.
    Does the hull of your boat touch anywhere on the center guide bunks?

Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    Unless some changes have been made that I'm unaware of. If you keep one long enough and haul it enough miles (it will be).
    Wish I had kept the pictures of my outside bunk boards. The ones where the bolt holes had egg shaped from wear -- also the pictures of the outer boat lip that had worn through the gel coat and color before I added a cutout for the "indention" that is mentioned numerous times in this thread..

5. Member
    I can see light between the center guide bunks on my trailer the entire length.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post

6. Member
    When I recently re-carpeted my bunks, I raised the main outer bunks about 3/8" because that's about how much it appeared the original holes had elongated over time. I installed spacers under them to "hopefully" prevent them from sagging again.

My guide bunks have about 1/8" - 3/16" clearance under the boat.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

7. Member
    Ya know, I've been thinking about this and I'll bet if our hulls would be set on traditional style bunk boards (not saying I am for this) like every other boat out there on the market today we would not be having this conversation. And what I mean by that is, I'll bet every hull resting on ALL boards equally settle into the bunks equally and a person would never know the difference. And because there is more surface area of each board (most cases 4 boards about 6" wide) you would not know it is settled if any. But because we have a hull that resides solely on 2 narrow surfaces approx. 2" wide on a 8' length that takes the full weight of the hull, motor and all contents for years going down a highway for endless miles etc. of course it is going to crush what its setting on til it ends up resting on the next closest surface....the inner boards and roller. That's why I am leaning even more to a material to replace the wood on the outer vertical boards that will retain their structural integrity and dimensions
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Member
    Imho , boat trailers are engineered with a compressible material for load bunks for a reason. You put a material that is not somewhat compressible or has some give and your asking for hull damage. Replacing worn and settling bunks is just part of the maintenance we have to deal with.

Imho , boat trailers are engineered with a compressible material for load bunks for a reason. You put a material that is not somewhat compressible or has some give and your asking for hull damage. Replacing worn and settling bunks is just part of the maintenance we have to deal with.
    I agree !!
    IMO there are a few very simple modifications that could be done at the factory to eliminate several issues that are still cause for concern.
    I will say they are a BIG improvement over the ones they put out 20 years ago..

10. Member

I believe the spring suspension BoatMate uses beats the life out of the boards. Torsion axles, Centerpoint air suspension or a Timbren system would definitely smooth things out to lengthen trailer life.

11. Member

Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post

I believe the spring suspension BoatMate uses beats the life out of the boards. Torsion axles, Centerpoint air suspension or a Timbren system would definitely smooth things out to lengthen trailer life.

12. Member
    Is that something that needs to be factory installed? That's pretty cool.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. Member

I agree Tim but I feel that in the case of a traditional trailer with 4 boards sharing the load there is more life to the bunks and less abuse to the hull surface (not talking about hull blisters though, that's a different subject) thereby extending the life of the boards/carpet til one day years down the road the boards and carpet are in need of being replaced. But a trailer only a few years old should have some other type material that allows shock absorption without sacrificing structural integrity thus allowing it a longer usable life span til it needs replacing. I'm all for the vertical board system carrying the hull because it allows less wetted surfaces contacting the gel but wood alone has proven to be a failing component of this trailer.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

14. Member
    I can only go by experience in 13 years of owning a Champion boat with 4 flat boards and carpet against the hull. I replaced the carpet twice and the bunk boards once. The second time I did the carpet the hull had blisters everywhere the hull touched the carpet. As fussy as these boats are about their running surface if I lifted it off the trailer and saw those blisters on this boat I would be sick. I have made some adjustment to this trailer so the front roller doesn’t touch and the center flat boards only touch about 4 inches in the front.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Is that something that needs to be factory installed? That's pretty cool.
    It looks to be a very simple install. That’s one of the things they boast about on their website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12