Ulterra Foot Control Problem

I'm having an issue with the foot pedal on my 112lb Minnkota Ulterra. The accelerator button has been sticking intermittently since I've owned it which has been really annoying. This past weekend it stuck, as in I needed a screwdriver to lift the button back up, as is basically non functional so I could only operate with the remote control. I have a few questions:

1) Is the accelerator button designed to be used like the foot control on my previous Maxxum and Fortrexx units, or am I only to use the remote control?

2) Does anyone know why Minnkota went with such a thin / little accelerator button? I really liked the button size and location on the Fortrex and Maxxum foot pedals.

3) I bought the boat new out of state this year with the Ulterra. Since I don't want to drive all the way to the new dealer can any dealer service this under warranty or do I need to ship it back to Minnkota?

4) Can I operate the Ulterra with the remote control if the foot pedal isn't attached?

I love the trolling motor and all the features, but I hate that accelerator button! Thanks for the assistance!

2. Member
    If it has been giving you problems since you bought the rig you should bring it to an ASC to get the foot pedal looked at. You can operate the troll motor with the remote. It has a 2 year warranty. If it is a long haul to the ASC you might try to call Minn Kota and they should be able to help you. Make sure you have your serial number when you call. It is located inside the bracket side wall on the left side. Motor must be stored to to see the S/N tag.

3. Member
    Thank you for the reply! Yes, I did indeed have a defective foot petal. I installed the new foot pedal and was amazed at how well it functioned. It is responsive, sensitive and so much easier to use Glad my problem was simply a defective part from the factory. The Ulterra really is an amazing piece of technology.