Is my Transducer bad??

Running Helix 12 MDI G2N at bow with an Ultrex and lowQ tranducer.. Last 2 times out depth reading is way out of ballpark and picture if any is very degraded both 2D and DI, I tried restore defaults and every adjustment I could think of including changing the transducer frequencies. Today I inadvdertently hit the generic transducer in the sonar menu and wala, 2D depth reading and image although not great was there. Swithced out of Generic ducer and went right back to jibberish. Am I correct in assuming the generic transducer was the ultrex built in ? Very frustrated. Good news I am getting better at intrepreting 360 out of necessity.

What does the Ultrex and Low Q DI transducer have to do with each other that the Generic setting would affect?
    Explain your connections.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I am not sure , does Ultrex US2 automatically connect to the Helix and is it selectable in the menu, which would then bypass the low q ducer on the ultrex ? I know everything was working much more smoothly 3 weeks ago, I did not update my unit for fear of having more problems as discussed by others. The low Q ducer is the TM version on the ultrex.

A transducer is connected to a display with a cable. If you have the MEGA DI transducer connected, there is no other setting to use but the MEGA DI.
    The other choices for Connected Transducer are to match other transducers that may be used instead of the MEGA DI.

There is no "automatic" connection to any transducer. If you want the US2 connected, you have to disconnect the DI transducer and connect the US2 with the Humminbird adapter cable and change the Connected Transducer setting to Generic 83/200 kHz. You will not have DI doing that and you won't have LowQ CHIRP either.

Since it has worked OK and nothing has changed, check for a damaged transducer cable. Some have damaged their cables with an Ultrex since they did not pay attention to the proper routing of the transducer cable to prevent damage.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thanks Wayne, thats what I was fearful of.