Optimax question - would you buy it?

I'm looking at a used boat in very nice condition. Only thing that has me worried is the motor hasn't been ran in 4-5 years.
    2001 200hp Optimax with less than 200 hours, sorry no serial number
    Seller indicated he removed and drained fuel tanks and replaced fuel lines before storing covered in shop. Batteries removed. That is all the info I have.

What potential issues could there be with this motor from sitting that long?

What precautions would be necessary before trying to start it first time?

Thanks for any advice, guys.

2. Member
    I would have the fuel system (injectors and rails) cleaned. I would have compressor checked and all filters replaced and confirm no old gas is in the tank. I would remove oil in any of the tanks and replaced after inspecting/cleaning tanks.

But, I wouldn’t buy it unless it was really cheap. And I would figure how much a replacement used motor would cost and consider that.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    I would have the fuel system (injectors and rails) cleaned. I would have compressor checked and all filters replaced and confirm no old gas is in the tank. I would remove oil in any of the tanks and replaced after inspecting/cleaning tanks.

But, I wouldn’t buy it unless it was really cheap. And I would figure how much a replacement used motor would cost and consider that.
    Thank you for your feedback. Asking price is definitely not on the cheap end. Visually, boat is a cherry and its priced accordingly. But having a motor sit that long worries me.

I would consider the motor value to be no more than 1000 tops as is. Now if he gets running and checked out first so you can water test it that would different
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Suggest you contact the seller and request the engine serial number then post it in the 3L section (what that engine is). There is a great FAQ at the top of 3L forum with some good info for your decision process, here are some, there are many more...

Checkout Recommendations for a Used Engine

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

"BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENT"

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines

_______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Thanks for your feedback guys.